When and Where: April 14, 2019 – Easton, Mass. (Lou Gorman Field)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 6, Stonehill College 5
Records: SNHU 27-8 (13-3 NE10, 8-1 NE10 NE), Stonehill 16-19 (7-8 NE10, 3-6 NE10 NE)
Seven different Penmen recorded a hit, four collected an RBI and junior Wesley Tobin (Portsmouth, N.H.) allowed two earned runs over seven innings, as the fourth-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team captured the rubber match of the series against Stonehill College, 6-5, Sunday at Lou Gorman Field.
- Tobin (6-2) gave up five runs – two earned – over seven innings, while striking out seven and walking three.
- Sophomore Jeffrey Praml (Bridgewater, N.J.) recorded his eighth save of the season, as he fired a pair of scoreless frames, striking out three, while walking one and hitting a batter.
- Redshirt-sophomore Marcus Chavez (Queens, N.Y.; RBI, run) and redshirt-junior Sean Doherty (Haverhill, Mass.; run) were both 2-for-4.
- Freshman Alex Kennedy (Braintree, Mass.) went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern New Hampshire jumped out to a 3-0 in the top of the third inning. Chavez led off the frame with a base hit to center field, went to second on a groundout, moved to third on an infield single from redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) and scored on an errant pick-off throw to first. Sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) immediately followed with an RBI double to right-center and Kennedy kept it going with a run-scoring single to center.
- Stonehill pulled even with a two-out rally in the sixth. After two quick outs, followed by back-to-back singles, a grounder to third looked like it would end the inning, but a bad throw loaded the bases. Thomas Quinn came through with a two-run single up the middle, before Patrick Downey's base hit to center tied the game, 3-3.
- SNHU went back in front in the eighth when Kennedy led off with a single up the middle, advanced to second on a sacrifice bunt from junior Jake Coro (Johnston, R.I.), moved to third on Doherty's single through the left side and scored when junior Dylan Faircloth (Cleveland, Texas) reached on an error by the third baseman. Chavez followed with an RBI base knock, before sophomore Idelson Taveras (Lawrence, Mass.) hit a sac fly to right made it 6-3.
- After Tobin allowed a single and a walk to begin the home half, Praml entered and recorded a strikeout, but then hit a batter to load the bases. A walk and a sac fly to right trimmed Stonehill's deficit to 6-5, before Praml notched an inning-ending strikeout.
- After the Penmen went in order in the ninth, Praml followed suit with a 1-2-3 bottom of the frame.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Coro was 1-for-2 with a walk.
- Goldstein went 1-for-3 with a walk and a run scored.
- Faircloth finished 1-for-4 and scored a run.
- Henrie turned in a 1-for-5 performance with an RBI and run scored.
- Southern New Hampshire has won 14 of the last 17 and 12 of 14.
- Doherty owns a six-game hitting streak and is 8-for-14 (.571) with three RBI and four runs scored during it.
- Kennedy has now hit safely in four straight.
- Chavez is 7-for-11 (.636) in his last three games.
- The Penmen meet in-state rival Franklin Pierce University in the middle game of the regular-season series Tuesday, April 14 (6 p.m.).
- The next home game for SNHU is Friday, April 19 (3:30 p.m.) when it plays host to Bentley University.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.