When and Where: November 3, 2018 – Rindge, N.H. (Sodexo Field)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 1, Franklin Pierce University 0
Records: SNHU 9-7 (7-4 Northeast-10 Conference), FPU 6-10 (3-8 Northeast-10 Conference)
Junior Laura van der Doorn (Beverwijk, The Netherlands) found the back of the cage just over 14 minutes into the first half and senior Melanie Rennie (Madison, Conn.) made it stand, as the Southern New Hampshire University field hockey team shutout Franklin Pierce University, 1-0, to move within one victory of securing the program's first-ever Northeast-10 Championship berth.
- van der Doorn's goal was her sixth of the season.
- Rennie stopped seven shots, five of which came in the second half.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither side was able to break through for the first 14-plus minutes before van der Doorn broke through for the game's lone goal. Senior Maddie Holt (Seabrook, N.H.) keyed the play as she generated a rush through the circle before pushing a feed to the right post, where van der Doorn finished the play to provide all the offense Southern New Hampshire would need with 20:51 remaining in the opening half.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Penmen outshot the Ravens, 14-8, which included a 10-7 advantage in shots on goal.
- Southern New Hampshire worked five penalty corners, including four in the first half, while Franklin Pierce drew five in the second half and seven overall.
- Holt's assist was her first of the season and fifth of her career.
- Southern New Hampshire currently sits fifth in the NE10 with a league record of 7-4. A Penmen win or Assumption College loss in any of their final two regular season league games would clinch SNHU's first postseason appearance.
- Rennie's second consecutive shutout gives her three on the season and 11 for her career. A clean sheet in any of Southern New Hampshire's final two games would tie her career high.
- The Penmen picked up their ninth win of the season on Saturday, which equals the single-season program record for wins. Southern New Hampshire won nine games in 2016 and eight a season ago.
- Southern New Hampshire is back in action Tuesday (November 6) when it hosts the University of New Haven on Senior Night at 6 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.