When and Where: November 11, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (Stan Spirou Field House)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 76, Dominican (N.Y.) College 74
Records: SNHU 2-0, Dominican 1-1
Junior Shawn Montague (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) poured in a game-high 27 points, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's basketball team bettered its record to 2-0 by rallying late for a 76-74 victory over Dominican (N.Y.) College on Sunday afternoon at the Stan Spirou Field House.
- Montague was an efficient 10-for-14 from the field, including 1-for-3 from beyond the arc and 6-for-9 at the stripe, while gathering nine rebounds.
- Senior Daquaise Andrews (Queens, N.Y.) netted 22 points (6-15 FG, 10-12 FT) for the second straight night to go with seven rebounds, three assists and three steals.
- Junior Eamonn Joyce (Medford, Mass.) rounded out the double-figure scorers for the Penmen with 14 points (3-7 FG, 1-3 3-FG, 7-7 FT) and six boards.
- Daniel Grant led the Chargers with 19 points (6-14 FG, 3-5 3-FG, 4-6 FT).
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The opening eight minutes saw both teams trading shots, before Southern New Hampshire snapped a 13-13 tie with an 11-3 run – with three points each from Joyce, senior Jon Martin (Manchester, N.H.) and Andrews – to open a 24-16 advantage with eight-and-a-half minutes remaining in the first half.
- An 8-2 counter-run – with Grant providing the final four points – slashed the Dominican deficit to a pair just under three minutes later. The margin was three with 2:35 left when a 7-2 spurt – sparked by a Daraja Rodwell 3-pointer and finished with four points from Ian Gardener – sent the Chargers to the locker room with a 35-33 edge.
- A Rodwell 3-pointer just over a minute into the second half nudged the Dominican lead to five at 40-35. The margin was four with under 14:30 to play when a 6-1 spurt flipped Southern New Hampshire into the lead at 51-49 with 13:23 remaining.
- Nine lead changes and four ties followed, with Dominican coming out of the scrum with a 71-67 advantage with just under four minutes to go. Four clutch free throws from Andrews, followed by the front end of a 1-and-1 from sophomore Drew Butler (Toronto, Ontario) at the 2:58 mark, gave the Penmen the lead for good at 72-71.
- After the Chargers missed the front end of their own 1-and-1, Andrews made them pay with a slick finish in traffic that made it a three-point game at 74-71 with 2:13 to play. Grant answered with a game-tying 3-pointer at the two-minute mark. Following a turnover, a big defensive stop for the Penmen set up another bucket from Andrews that put the hosts on top, 76-74, with 53 ticks on the clock. Dominican went for the game-winning 3 as time expired, but it would not fall.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Southern New Hampshire outshot Dominican, 48 percent (24-50) to 42.9 percent (27-63), while the Chargers returned the favor from long distance, 36 percent (9-25) to 28.6 percent (4-14).
- SNHU was plus-13 at the line and shot it better, 77.4 percent (24-31) to 68.8 percent (11-16).
- The Penmen won the paint (36-28), while the Chargers captured the glass (36-34), had more points off turnovers (20-14) and turned in a better assist-to-turnover ratio (13/15-9/7).
- Martin chipped in six points (2-2 FG, 2-2 3-FG) and two rebounds.
- Southern New Hampshire begins the season 2-0 for the fifth straight year.
- Andrews notched his 15th career 20-point performance.
- The Penmen return to action Wednesday, Nov. 14 (7:30 p.m.) when they play host to Saint Michael's College at the Field House in a game that will air on WGIR 610-AM.
- SNHU is home for four straight to begin the year, as well as six of seven in the month of November.
University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.