When and Where: December 1, 2018 – Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 68, College 53
Records: SNHU 5-3 (2-2 NE10), Assumption 4-4 (0-3 NE10)
Senior Daquaise Andrews (Queens, N.Y.) scored a game-high 20 points to lead the Southern New Hampshire University men's basketball team to a 68-53 defeat of Assumption College on Saturday at Laska Gymnasium.
- Andrews was 6-for-14 from the field, including 1-for-2 from long distance, and 7-for-9 at the line, while stuffing the stat sheet with seven rebounds, four assists and three steals.
- Senior Charlie Russo (Syracuse, N.Y.) recorded a season-high 15 points (5-9 FG, 4-7 3-FG, 1-2 FT).
- Damien Rance and Cal Connelly led the Greyhounds with 11 and 10 points, respectively.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- With the score tied, 3-3, just over a minute in, four different scorers combined on an 8-0 run that put Southern New Hampshire in front, 11-3, with 17:16 remaining in the first half. With the gap down to 15, the Penmen ripped off an 18-5 run – with eight from Andrews – that widened the margin to 31-13 with 8:06 to go.
- After a Bryan Boehlert 3-pointer interrupted the stretch – SNHU picked right back up where it left off, closing the half on a 12-3 run – highlighted by four points from senior Remo Simankevicius (Melbourne, Australia), and 3-pointers from Russo and junior Ryogo Sumino (Kanagawa, Japan) – that sent it to the locker room with a 43-19 advantage.
- Assumption came out of the break on fire, scoring 12 straight to slash its deficit to 43-31 just over five minutes in. Rance led four different scorers with four points during the stretch. With the gap at 11 more than four minutes later, the Penmen used a 14-5 rush – with seven from Russo, who sparked the run with a 3-pointer, and five from Andrews, who capped it with his own triple – to crack open a 60-40 lead with 6:09 to go.
- An 8-3 spurt pulled the Greyhounds within 63-48 at the three-minute mark, but they would get no closer than 13 the rest of the way.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Southern New Hampshire, which never trailed in the game, outshot Assumption, 48.1 percent (25-52) to 34.4 percent (21-61), including 41.2 percent (7-17) to 33.3 percent (9-27) from beyond the arc, and 61.3 percent (19-31) to 25.9 percent (7-27) in the opening half.
- SNHU was also plus-9 from the stripe and shot it much better, 68.8 percent (11-16) to 28.6 percent (2-7).
- The Penmen won the glass (38-36) and the paint (36-22), while the Greyhounds amassed more second chance points (12-6) and more points off mistakes (12-11), and featured a better assist-to-turnover ratio (14/14-10/12).
- Junior Shawn Montague (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) tallied nine points (4-7 FG, 1-3 FT), seven boards, two assists, two steals and two blocks.
- Classmate Eamonn Joyce (Medford, Mass.) posted nine points (4-7 FG, 1-2 3-FG) and five rebounds.
- Sumino netted seven points (3-5 FG, 1-3 -3FG).
- Simankevicius chipped in six points (2-6 FG, 2-2 FT) and four rebounds.
- The win is Southern New Hampshire's second in the last three contests.
- Andrews' 20 points move him past Waymon Boone (1991-94) and Robert Giles (1976-80), and into 33rd place on the program's all-time scoring list with 1,273 points.
- Andrews' fifth 20-point performance of the season is the 18th of his career.
- The Penmen return to action Wednesday, Dec. 5 (7:30 p.m.) when they play host to Bentley University at the Stan Spirou Field House.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.