When and Where: October 30, 2018 – Hooksett, N.H. (Ice Den Arena)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 2, St. Michael's College 2 (OT)
Records: SNHU 0-0-1, St. Michael's 0-2-1
Senior Joseph Berardi (Burlington, Mass.) and Sophomore Max Kent (Sandwich, Mass.) scored goals to give the Penmen a 2-0 lead, but SNHU had to settle for a 2-2 season-opening tie with St. Michael's College on Tuesday at the Ice Den.
How It Happened:
- Berardi was first to find the net with just 29 seconds left in the first period. His backhand made it 1-0 and freshman Travis Quigley (North Babylon, N.Y.) picked up the assist.
- The Penmen took a 2-0 lead on a power-play goal by Max Kemp at 11:19 of the second period. Kemp drilled a slap shot off a pass from freshman Charlie Davis (Milton, Mass.). Sophomore Kyle Galloway (Sugar Hill, Ga.) also was credited with an assist.
- Sam D'Antuono cut the lead to 2-1 at 17:07 of the second period. His one-timer beat junior goalie Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) over the shoulder.
- The Purple Knights tied the contest at 5:24 of the final stanza on a slap shot through traffic by sophomore Sel Narby.
- Gutting recorded 40 saves for the Penmen in a strong effort. The Purple Knights finished with a 42-33 shot advantage.
- The Penmen had a man advantage in the five-minute overtime after St. Michael's was caught with too many men on the ice. SNHU outshot St. Michael's 6-1 in the extra session.
- The teams combined for 16 penalties---seven by SNHU.
- This was also the NE10 Conference opener for both teams. St. Michael's was picked to win the league in the pre-season poll
- The Penmen will travel to Pennsylvania to play a pair of non-conference games Friday and Saturday against Bryn Athyn College.
- The next home game is Tuesday, November 6 against Framingham State at 6:40 p.m. (Ice Den Arena)
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.