When and Where: November 17, 2018 – Worcester, Mass. (Buffone Arena)
Score: Assumption College 5, Southern New Hampshire University 4
Records: SNHU 4-3-1 (NE10 2-2-1), Assumption 7-2-0 (NE10 2-2-0)
SNHU opened a 4-0 lead, but Assumption rallied for a 5-4 win as the team's split a two-game set in Worcester.
- Nine different skaters accounted for the nine goals in the game.
- Freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) had an assist on the power play goal by senior Chris Moquin and has now scored at least one point in seven straight contests.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- SNHU took a 1-0 lead at 13:46 of the first period on a goal by senior Joe Berardi (Burlington, Mass.) It was his third of the season and freshman Charlie Davis (Milton, Mass.) earned the assist.
- Senior Chris Moquin (Hooksett, N.H.) cashed in on a power play opportunity for the Penmen at 15:59 of the first. It was his second goal of the season.
- The Penmen had a 3-0 lead after senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.) scored at 0:21 of the second period, unassisted.
- The lead grew to 4-0 just 45 seconds later when Davis scored off a pass from senior Anthony Gandolfi (Nutley, N.J.)
- Assumption cut the lead to 4-2 before the end of the second period on goals by Mike D'Ambrosio and Christopher Stalmok. Stalmok's was a power-play goal.
- The Greyhounds scored 20 seconds into the third period to make it 4-3 on the first goal of the season by Jared Bernis.
- The game was tied at 4-4 at 6:34 of the final stanza after Brendan Philippon tallied.
- Assumption took a 5-4 lead with just 1:55 to play on a goal by Robert Roache.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- A goaltending change by Assumption worked after SNHU built the 4-0 lead. The Penmen could not score the rest of the way against David Zulauf.
- SNHU also switched goaltenders as freshman JT Kossakowski (Elburn, Ill.) replaced the starter, junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) in the final period at 4-4.
- The Penmen were outshot in the game 31-17, and for the two-game set with the Greyhounds 80-41.
- The NE10 rivals will meet one more time in the regular season at the Ice Den Arena in late January.
- The Penmen will return to the Ice Den on Saturday (November 24) when they host UMass Boston on the first day of the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Tournament.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.