When and Where: January 15, 2019 – Shelton, Conn. (Sports Center of Connecticut)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 4, Post University
Records: SNHU 7-5-2 (3-2-1 NE10), Post 5-10-0
SNHU senior Artem Efimov-Barakov (Khimki, Russia) and sophomore Kyle Galloway (Sugar Hill, Ga.) scored first period goals but the Penmen allowed three third period goals and lost 5-4 in overtime at Post University on Tuesday night.
- Galloway netted his fifth goal of the season five minutes into the contest, moving into a tie for most goals on the team.
- Senior Artem Efimov-Barakov scored for the second consecutive game.
- Freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) tallied for the second time this season in the second period.
- Senior Chris Moquin (Hooksett, N.H.) gave the Penmen a short-lived 4-3 lead in the third period, it was also his team-leading fifth goal.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Galloway made it 1-0 Penmen five minutes into the game when he tipped in a pass from the blue line by freshman Phil Heisse (Overland Park, Kan.). Freshman Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Georgia) also assisted on the goal.
- Southern New Hampshire made it 2-0 at 15:20. Efimov-Barakov took a pass from senior Joseph Berardi (Burlington, Mass.), made a nice move in front of the net, and slipped the puck past the Eagles netminder.
- The Penmen opened a 3-0 lead just 28 seconds into the second period. Fiorino stole an outlet pass in the neutral zone and took it all the way to the net.
- Post took advantage of a power-play opportunity to score at 11:23 of the second period. Sean Castagna beat JT Kossakowski (Elburn, Ill.) with a blast from the goalie's left side.
- The Eagles erased the deficit with two goals in 38 seconds midway through the final period on goals by Steven Mullaly and John Krapian.
- Moquin made it 4-3 in favor of SNHU at 16:22 of the final period when he took a feed from senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.) in front of the net. Senior Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) had the other assist on the play.
- Post scored with the help of an extra attacker at 19:01 when Anthony Giacomin was able to tip a rebound in to make it 4-4.
- The game-winning goal was scored on a tip in by Jake Raleigh at 2:15 of the extra session.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Southern New Hampshire had a 17-7 shot advantage in the first period but were outshot by the Eagles 51-47 for the game.
- The Penmen were 0-for-2 on the power play, while the Eagles went 1-for-6.
- Freshman JT Kossakowski (Elburn, Ill.) played for the first time since November 17 vs. Assumption.
- The was the first of three meetings between the Penmen and the Eagles. Post will visit the Ice Den for a pair of games on February 1-2.
- Post picked up its ever win over SNHU after the Penmen had claimed the first five meetings.
- Southern New Hampshire has now dropped three games this season by 5-4 scores. Four of the five team losses are by one goal.
- The Penmen return to the Ice Den on Friday, Jan. 18 (7:10 p.m.) to meet conference rival Franklin Pierce in the second game of the regular-season series,
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.