When and Where: January 18, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 5, Franklin Pierce University 1
Records: SNHU 8-5-2 (4-2-1 NE10), FPU 7-9-1 (2-4-1 NE10)
Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) stopped 29 shots and five different SNHU players scored goals in a 5-1 win over Franklin Pierce University on Friday night at The Ice Den.
- Senior Artem Efimov-Barakov (Khimki, Russia) scored his third goal of the season, all coming in the last three games. He added an assist in the win.
- Freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) scored his team-leading sixth goal of the season.
- Freshman forward Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Ga.) tallied once for the Penmen.
- Senior Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) picked up his fifth goal of the season.
- Senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.) added a short-handed, empty net goal late in the contest.
- Sophomore Max Kent (Sandwich, Mass.) had three assists on the night.
- Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) made it all stand up by turning aside 29 of the 30 shots he faced.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern New Hampshire drew first blood 12:12 into the first period on a power play goal by Jake Cox who blasted his slap shot home for a 1-0 lead. Kent picked up his first assist.
- SNHU doubled its lead with just over just :25 left in the frame with another power play goal. Artem Efimov-Barakov was able to put home a rebound of a shot taken by sophomore Kyle Galloway (Sugar Hill, Ga.).
- The Penmen went ahead, 3-0, with a power-play goal just over seven minutes into the second period when freshman Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Ga.) worked behind the net, came up alongside the Raven netminder Ian Wallace, and flipped the puck over his shoulder for a sensational tally.
- The first even strength goal of the night for SNHU came midway through the final period with Brett Strawn scoring off a Max Kent blast to make it 4-0.
- Kurt Gutting saw his bid for shutout spoiled at 18:20 of the third by Raven top scorer Alex Lester. Franklin Pierce skated 6-on-4 with an extra attacker in a power play situation.
- Ryan Spagnoli capped the evening with a short-handed, empty net goal, at 19:22.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Southern New Hampshire outshot Franklin Pierce, 38-30, including 12-2 in the middle stanza.
- The Penmen were 3-for-9 on the power play, while the Ravens went 1-for-9.
- Southern New Hampshire has won the season series with Franklin Pierce. They won the earlier matchup 8-1 on December 1 at The Ice Den.
- SNHU improves to 29-13-9 all-time against the Ravens.
- The Penmen and Ravens meet for the final time in the 2018-19 season on Saturday at 6:10 p.m. (new time) in Winchenden, Mass.
- The next home contest for SNHU is Tuesday, January 29 (7:00 p.m.) when it plays host to Assumption College at The Ice Den in Hooksett.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.