When and Where: January 19, 2019 – Winchenden, Mass. (Jason Ritchie Ice Arena)
Score: Franklin Pierce University 2, Southern New Hampshire University 1 (OT)
Records: SNHU 8-6-2 (4-3-1 NE10), FPU 8-9-1 (3-4-1 NE10)
Senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.) tied the game midway through the final period, but SNHU fell 2-1 in overtime at Franklin Pierce on Saturday.
- Senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.) scored a goal for the second consecutive game for SNHU.
- Sophomores Griffin Connor (Manchester, N.H.) and Kyle Galloway (Sugar Hill, Ga.) each had an assist.
- Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) stopped 32 of 34 shots, playing in net for the second consecutive night for the Penmen.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The teams skated through a scoreless first period, but started the second with Galloway in the penalty box for interference.
- Franklin Pierce, which went 1-for-9 on the power-play on Friday, cashed in on its first opportunity on Saturday.
- Nate Indelicato scored for the Ravens at :36 of the second period. The senior's fourth goal, third on the power play, made it 1-0.
- Spagnoli buried a loose puck from the left circle at 12:58 of the third period to tie the game. Connor and Galloway were awarded assists on the play.
- In overtime, the NE10's leading scorer, Franklin Pierce junior Alex Lester scored the game-winner on a blast from the top of the left circle.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Southern New Hampshire outshot Franklin Pierce 47-to-34.
- The Penmen went 0-for-5 on the power play.
- SNHU is now 0-3-2 in five overtime games this season.
- Southern New Hampshire won the season series with Franklin Pierce, taking two of three games from the Ravens including 5-1 on Friday night at The Ice Den.
- SNHU is 29-14-9 all-time against the Ravens.
- The Penmen head to Saint Michael's College for a pair of games next week. The teams meet at 7:00 p.m. on Friday and 4:00 p.m. on Saturday.
- The next home contest for SNHU is Tuesday, January 29 (7:00 p.m.) when it plays host to Assumption College at The Ice Den in Hooksett.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.