When and Where: January 29, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 4, Assumption College 4 (OT)
Records: SNHU 9-6-4 (5-3-3 Northeast-10 Conference), Assumption 12-6-2 (5-5-2 Northeast-10 Conference)
Freshman Andy Somerville (Medford, Mass.) slipped home a shorthanded-goal with 7:35 remaining in the third period to erase a one-goal deficit and help the Southern New Hampshire University ice hockey team earn a point in the Northeast-10 Conference standings with a 4-4 tie against Assumption College at the Ice Den on Tuesday.
- Senior Chris Moquin (Hooksett, N.H.) registered a goal and an assist.
- Senior Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) turned in a multi-point effort of his own as he handed out a pair of helpers.
- Robert Holyoke tallied a goal and an assist for Assumption.
- Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) stopped 32 shots over the course of 65 minutes of action.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern New Hampshire jumped out to an early, 1-0, lead just over two minutes into the first, as freshman Charlie Davis (Milton, Mass.) collected a pass from Moquin at the right hashmark and deposited his sixth of the season just inside the far post.
- Assumption answered with back-to-back goals to take a one-goal advantage into the intermission. Devan Sheth evened the score at 4:50 of the first when he directed a shot through traffic off the stick of Holyoke before John McDonagh put the Greyhounds in front with 12:31 remaining in the opening stanza with a point shot that snuck by Gutting.
Moquin reset the game midway through the second period after he gathered Strawn's rebound on the doorstep, walked across the crease and tucked it around David Zulauf.
- Khalil East reestablished Assumption's lead with 6:14 to play in the second when he emerged from a scramble in front of the net with the puck and flipped it over a sprawled out Gutting to make it 3-2.
- The Penmen drew even again 5:45 into the final frame when freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) took a pass on the rush from senior Joseph Berardi (Wilmington, Mass.) at the offense blue line, walked in to the left faceoff dot and went bardown on Zulauf.
- Holyoke broke the deadlock with 11:38 to play to put the visitors back in front. After having his first two opportunities stopped on the doorstep by Gutting, Holyoke finally punched home his third bid to establish a 4-3 edge.
- After Southern New Hampshire was whistled for a penalty in the late stages of the third, Somerville picked off a Greyhounds' pass in the neutral zone, burst through the offensive zone on a breakaway before sliding a backhand through Zulauf's five-hole to cap the game's scoring.
- Southern New Hampshire outshot Assumption, 40-36, for the game and held a 6-1 edge in shots on goal during the overtime session.
- The Penmen were hit with 18 minutes of penalties on five infractions while the Greyhounds were assed four minor penalties for eight minutes of penance. Each side was 1-for-4 on the man advantage.
- Moquin reclaimed the team lead in goals with his seventh of the season, while Strawn's two-point night brought him even with freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) at 16 points for the most on SNHU.
- Gutting eclipsed the 30-save plateau for the eighth time this season and the fourth consecutive outing.
- Southern New Hampshire is back in action Friday (Feb. 1) when it entertains Post University at the Ice Den at 7:10 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.