Men's Lacrosse Falls Late to Bentley in Northeast-10 First Round Action

Men's Lacrosse Falls Late to Bentley in Northeast-10 First Round Action

WALTHAM, Mass. – The fifth-seeded Southern New Hampshire University men's lacrosse team fell to No. 4 Bentley University by a score of 8-7 Tuesday evening in a first-round Northeast-10 Championship game. The Penmen close out their season with a 7-8 overall record, and a 6-5 conference record, while the Falcons improve to 8-6 overall, and will travel to No. 1 Adelphi Saturday for a semi-final game.

Senior Rob Murray (Marblehead, Mass.) had two goals for the Penmen to put him over the 100-career point mark, while Cameron Joyce (Braintree, Mass.) also added two scores, and Crosby Nicholson (Andover, Mass.) added two assists. Phil LaTorre (Londonderry, N.H.), Jeremy Buckley (Norwell, Mass.), and Cory Allen (Suffield, Conn.) each added a goal as well.

Bentley jumped out of the gates scoring back-to-back goals in the first quarter to take an early 2-0 lead. However, Murray answered for SNHU at the 4:10 mark to cut the deficit to one, and Joyce scored his first goal of the game with 36 seconds remaining to tie it up going into the second quarter.

The Falcons opened up the second frame similar to the first, scoring twice, including a man-up opportunity from Bobby Hinds with 10:26 to go to take another two-goal lead at 4-2. But, the Penmen retaliated once again, scoring the next four goals to take their first lead of the game. Joyce sparked the run with his second goal of the game from Nicholson just 1:22 after Hinds' goal to cut the lead to one, and Buckley followed with another Southern New Hampshire goal a minute later to tie it up at 4-4. The game remained knotted up for the next two minutes, until Allen scored off another Nicholson assist to take the first lead of the game. Murray then put the visitors up two with his second goal unassisted at the 4:25 mark in the second. SNHU held off the Falcons for the remainder of the frame, taking the 6-4 lead into the third.

The momentum carried over for the Penmen in the third, as they dominated the quarter. They were able to keep possession of the ball for the majority of time, and kept the Falcons off the board. Adding to the momentum, with 6:08 to go, LaTorre scored to give SNHU its largest lead of the game at 7-4.

Southern New Hampshire took the three-goal lead into the fourth quarter, and seemed to have secured the win. However, Bentley thought differently, and came out with obvious energy to take back the momentum and win the game. The Falcons began chipping away at the lead early in the quarter, as Steve Caditz scored his second goal of the game just 50 seconds in. A minute later, Brendan Murphy scored another goal for the hosts, cutting the lead to one, and with 7:02 to play, Cutler Dimond scored the equalizer to tie the game at 7-7. The Falcons outshot SNHU 10-6 in the final frame, and with 3:07 to go, Murphy scored his second goal of the game, and the gamewinner to regain the lead for Bentley. The Penmen were held to just one shot in the final three minutes of the game, and a turnover in the last minute secured the win for the Falcons.

Morgan Weireter (Oak Park, Calif.) had 14 saves in net for the Penmen, including five in the third quarter, while Josh Baker had four saves for Bentley.

For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter (@snhupenmen), Facebook (, Youtube ( and Instagram (