When and Where: November 2, 2018 – Garden City, N.Y. (Motamed Field)
Score: Adelphi University 1, Southern New Hampshire University 0
Records: Adelphi 14-3-2, SNHU 13-4-2
Taylor Kaczynski's 15th-minute goal proved to be the difference, as second-seeded Adelphi University advanced to the Northeast-10 Championship final with a 1-0 win over the third-seeded Southern New Hampshire University men's soccer team Friday at Motamed Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Adelphi went ahead, 1-0, 14:13 into the match when Kaczynski buried his chance off a cross from Paolo Marciano.
- Southern New Hampshire generated a number of chances the rest of the way, including one late in the 89th minute when graduate student Jonathan Cruickshank (Diego Martin, Trinidad & Tobago) forced Adelphi goalkeeper Matt Apicella to make a save that preserved the one-goal lead.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Senior goalkeeper Daniel Milton (Ajax, Ontario) stopped one shot, while Apicella made all seven saves for the shutout.
- The Penmen owned a 22-4 advantage in shots, including 13-2 in the opening stanza.
- Corner kicks were even at 3-all.
- Southern New Hampshire had its two-match winning streak snapped.
- Adelphi advances to its four straight final and will look for its first NE10 title since 2016 on Sunday.
- The Penmen are now 23-9-5 (.689) all-time in the Northeast-10 Championship and lose to Adelphi for the first time in three NE10 postseason meetings between the two teams.
- Southern New Hampshire falls to 94-15-11 (.829) over its last 120 matches dating back to the beginning of the 2013 National Championship season.
- The Penmen will tune into the NCAA Selection Show on NCAA.com to see if they earn a bid to the NCAA Tournament on Monday, Nov. 5 (6:30 p.m.)
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.