When and Where: February 2, 2019 – Chestnut Hill, Mass. (Flynn Recreation Complex)
Score: Boston College 6, Southern New Hampshire University 1
Records: BC 3-1, SNHU 3-1
Junior Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) earned a point with a win at No. 4 singles, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team opened up its spring schedule with a 6-1 loss to Division-I foe Boston College on Saturday at the Flynn Recreation Complex.
- van Biezen topped Sean Mullins, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 4 singles.
- Graduate students Ricardo Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) and Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) doubled-up Chris Grasel and Markus Nordby, 6-3, at No. 2 doubles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Mullins and Derek Austin edged van Biezen his junior brother Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands), 6-4, at No. 1 doubles, the Marreiros' evened doubles at 1-1 with their No. 2 win. The Eagles narrowly clinched the point with a 7-5 victory, as Santiago Montufar and Wills Tutecky toppled freshmen Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) and Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) at No. 3.
- BC then took five of the six singles matches. Willem van Biezen played a tough match against Grasel at No. 2, losing, 7-5, 7-5. Vacalares also played his opponent close, dropping a 6-4, 6-4 decision to Nordby at No. 3.
- Southern New Hampshire had won 15 of 16, dating back to last season, entering the day.
- Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal) had his 16-match single winning streak snapped, as he absorbs his first loss at No. 1 singles since March 16, 2018.
- The Penmen are back in action Monday, March 11 (2 p.m.) when they take on Flagler College.
- The next home match for SNHU is slated for Friday, March 22 (3 p.m.) against the New York Institute of Technology.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.
1. Austin / S. Mullins (BC) def. van Biezen / van Biezen (SNHU) 6-4
2. Marreiros / Marreiros (SNHU) def. Grasel / Nordby (BC) 6-3
3. Santiago Montufar / Tutecky (BC) def. Torres / Vacalares (SNHU) 7-5
1. Derek Austin (BC) def. Tiago Fernandes (SNHU) 6-1, 6-3
2. Chris Grasel (BC) def. Willem van Biezen (SNHU) 7-5, 7-5
3. Markus Nordby (BC) def. Manny Vacalares (SNHU) 6-4, 6-4
4. Bas van Biezen (SNHU) def. Sean Mullins (BC) 6-2, 6-1
5. Alexander Chieffalo (BC) def. Ricardo Marreiros (SNHU) 6-2, 6-3
6. Wills Tutecky (BC) def. Miguel Marreiros (SNHU) 6-2, 7-6