When and Where: March 12, 2019 – West Palm Beach, Fla. (Mitch Gornto Tennis Center)
Score: Palm Beach Atlantic University 4, Southern New Hampshire University 3
Records: PBAU 9-1, SNHU 3-3
Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal), and freshmen Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) and Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) each won their singles match, but the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team was outlasted by 12th-ranked Palm Beach Atlantic University on Tuesday at the Mitch Gornto Tennis Center.
- Fernandes, ranked 48th in the nation, defeated Philipp Hoffmann, 6-7 (6-8), 6-2, 10-6, at No. 1 singles.
- Vacalares took down Erik Carlsten, 7-6, 4-6, 10-6 at No. 3.
- Torres was a 6-7, 6-3, 1-0 winner at No. 6 against Thomas Salmon.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Hoffmann and Carlos Niemeyer doubled up Fernandes and Vacalares, 6-3, at No. 3 doubles, Palm Beach Atlantic clinched the doubles point, as Umberto Rosi and Salmon narrowly beat juniors Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) and Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands), 7-5, at No. 1. Graduate student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) and Torres were edged, 7-6, at No. 2 by Carlsten and Rodolfo Hasegawa.
- PBA went up 2-0, as Hasegawa earned the win at No. 4 when Bas van Biezen was forced to retire.
- Rosi then toppled Willem van Biezen at No. 2, before Niemeyer downed Marreiros at No. 5 to clinch the match.
- Torres, Fernandes and Vacalares followed with respective wins to keep the score close.
- PBA is ranked seventh in the ITA Southeast Region, while the Penmen are No. 4 in the Northeast.
- The Penmen are back in action Friday, March 22 (3 p.m.) when they play host to the New York Institute of Technology.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.