When and Where: March 25, 2019 – North Andover, Mass. (Merrimack College)
Score: #19 Southern New Hampshire 6, Post University 0
Records: SNHU 17-4, Post 5-8
#19 Southern New Hampshire extended its win streak to nine games with a 6-0 shutout of Post University on Monday afternoon. Junior Maddy Barone (Halifax, Mass.) improved to 8-1 with another gem, a one-hit shutout. She also had three hits and drove in two runs to help her cause.
How It Happened:
- The Penmen took the lead in the bottom of the second inning. Barone singled and moved to second on a sacrifice bunt by sophomore Emily Critch (Halifax, Mass.). Junior Gabriella Vachon (Newton, Mass.) singled to make it 1-0, advancing to second on a fielding error. Junior Erin Tyrrell (Milford, N.H.) then came through with a base-hit to center, driving in Vachon.
- Junior Jordan Wade (East Taunton, Mass.) reached on a two-base error in the bottom of the third inning, advancing on a groundout, and scoring on a single by Barone to put the Penmen up 3-0.
- In the last of the fourth inning, Tyrell walked and moved up on a groundout. Senior Erin Garczynski (Norwood, Mass.) was hit-by-pitch. Wade then delivered an RBI single for a 4-0 lead.
- SNHU extended the lead with a pair of runs in the bottom of the sixth inning. Garczynski singled and moved up on a passed ball. Wade reached on an error, as Garczynski scored. Freshman Emily Carbonneau (Lowell, Mass.) drew a walk ahead of Barone's third hit of the game, an RBI single.
- Barone took a no-hitter to the seventh inning when Post freshman Kasey Jusino reached on a groundball to the shortstop, leading off the frame. Barone came back to retire the next three batters, striking out Brittany Giordano to end the game. She finished with eight strikeouts.
- For Barone, the shutout was her fourth of the season. She has not allowed a run in her last 20 innings.
- Over the current win streak of nine games, the Penmen have outscored the opponent 36-5.
- The game was originally scheduled as a doubleheader at SNHU. The teams decided to play a single game at Merrimack College to take advantage of the artificial surface in North Andover, Mass.
- The Penmen will take on Franklin Pierce University on Friday, March 29 at 4 p.m. The NE10 conference game will be played at Presentation of Mary Academy in Hudson, N.H.
- The home opener on the SNHU Softball Field is scheduled to be played on Wednesday, April 3. The Penmen will take on Saint Michael's College in a doubleheader that begins at 3 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.