When and Where: March 30, 2019 – Waltham, Mass. (Bentley Softball Field)
Game One Score: #18 Southern New Hampshire 2, Bentley 0
Game Two Score: #18 Southern New Hampshire 3, Bentley 1
Records: SNHU 19-4 (4-0 NE10, 2-0 NE10 NE), Bentley 7-14 (3-3 NE10, 0-2 NE10 NE)
Game 1: SNHU 2 Bentley 0
Junior Maddy Barone (Halifax, Mass.) did it again for the Penmen. She tossed her third consecutive shutout and fifth of the season, allowing only four hits. Barone walked one and struck out a season-high 10 batters. She also contributed in both scoring frames for 18th-ranked SNHU.
The Penmen took a 1-0 in the top of the second inning. Freshman Emily Carbonneau (Lowell, Mass.) led off with a double, moving to third on a sacrifice bunt by Barone. Carbonneau would score when sophomore Emily Critch (Halifax, Mass.) reached on an error.
In the top of the fourth inning, junior Jordan Wade (East Taunton, Mass.) singled, advancing to second on a wild pitch. A fly out by Carbonneau allowed Wade to take third, and she scored on a single to right field by Barone.
Bentley's Ashley Keegan (5-1) suffered her first loss, allowing only the one run in a complete-game effort. She struck out two.
Game 2: SNHU 3 Bentley 1
Junior Gabriella Vachon (Newton, Mass.) homered and drove in all three runs. She also finished up in the circle to earn her third save in a 3-1 win for SNHU, completing the doubleheader sweep.
Sophomore Jackie Gavin (Laconia, N.H.) singled to start the second inning and moved to second on a bunt by Critch. Vachon's home run, her team-leading fifth of the season, made it 2-0.
Gavin and Vachon put together a pair of doubles in the top of the fourth inning as Southern New Hampshire extended the lead to 3-0.
Freshman Olivia Strasser (Rutland, Mass.) worked into the sixth inning, allowing only one run. Bentley's Elise Pereira walked in the bottom of the fourth inning and Gabby Casalino singled to right field. Montana Joyce knocked in the only Falcons run of the day with a single to third base.
Sophomore Ali Atherton (Milford, Mass.) worked a scoreless inning in relief, yielding to Vachon who came on to strikeout the final batters with two on base to secure her third save.
- During the win streak, the Penmen have recorded six shutouts, and outscored the opponent 41-6.
- Vachon not only leads the Penmen with five homers, she has a team-leading 19 RBI. Senior Erin Garczynski (Norwood, Mass.) is second with 15 RBI.
- Garczynski had a hit in the opener, but went 0-for-3 in the second game snapping a 13-game hit streak.
- Barone lowered her ERA to 1.08. Strasser is pitching to a 1.65 ERA. They rank first and third in the NE10.
- Ali Atherton pitched for the first time in 15 days, extending her scoreless streak to start the season to 13.2 innings.
- The Penmen have won the last six meetings with Bentley - and now lead the all-time series with the Falcons 39-38.
- SNHU and Bentley will finish the series with an 11 a.m. (new time) game on Sunday.
- The first scheduled home game for the Penmen will be Monday, April 1 at 4 p.m. against Franklin Pierce University.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.