When and Where: April 13, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (SNHU Softball Field)
Game One: Assumption 5, #13 Southern New Hampshire 3 (10 innings)
Game Two: #13 Southern New Hampshire 5 Assumption 0
Records: SNHU 31-5 (16-1 NE10, 10-1 NE10 NE), Assumption 19-14 (12-8 NE10, 8-4 NE10 NE)
- Sophomore Olivia Strasser (Rutland, Mass.) tossed her fifth shutout of the season, improving to 11-1 in SNHU's Game Two win.
- Sophomore Emily Critch (Halifax, Mass.) homered to tie the first game at 2-2 in the fourth.
- Junior Gabriella Vachon (Newton, Mass.) knocked in runs in both games with a pair of singles, giving her 26 RBI on the season.
GAME ONE: Assumpton 5-3 (10 innings)
- The Penmen saw a 22-game win streak snapped in the opener when Assumption scored a pair of runs in the top of the 10th.
- Assumption scored a pair of runs in the top of the third on consecutive hits by Brooke Murphy and Haley Drakoulakos.
- SNHU would battle back to tie. Freshman Emily Carbonneau (Lowell, Mass.) doubled in the third, advancing on an error, and scoring on a single by Vachon to make it 2-1.
- Critch homered in the top of the fourth to tie the game at 2-2.
- The Greyhounds moved back in front in the top of the sixth inning. Alyssa Beaton singled and stole second, scoring on a base-hit by Victoria Petrie.
- After Junior Logan Filo-Loos (Dudley, Mass.) drew a walk in the bottom of the seventh inning, sophomore Shay Sauvageau (Griswold, Conn.) bunted her to second. A single by junior Erin Tyrrell (Milford, N.H.) tied the game at 3-3.
- With the extra-runner at second in the top of the tenth inning, Beaton doubled for one run. She scored on a single by Petrie.
- Mia Nowicki (W, 12-5) came on to pitch in the bottom of the fifth inning to earn the win, allowing only one hit in six innings of relief.
- SNHU starter junior Maddy Barone (Halifax, Mass.) left in the sixth inning, and had a no decision. She allowed three runs and had six strikeouts.
- Vachon (L, 1-2) finished up for the Penmen, pitching the final four innings, taking the loss.
GAME TWO: SNHU 5-0
- The Penmen hit the board first in the bottom of the fourth inning. Senior Erin Garczynski (Norwood, Mass.) walked and was bunted to second by junior Jordan Wade (East Taunton, Mass.). After a groundout, three consecutive singles by sophomore Jackie Gavin (Laconia, N.H.), Sauvageau, and Vachon led to two two-out runs.
- SNHU added two more runs after two were out in the bottom of the fifth inning. Garczynski reached on an error, Wade tripled, and Carbonneau singled.
- Tyrrell tripled with two-outs in the bottom of the sixth innings and scored when freshman Chloe Griffin (Scarborough, Maine) reached on an error.
- Strasser allowed only two singles, one by Victoria Petrie in the third, the other by Julia Mazzeo in the third. She retired the final 10 batters for her eleventh win.
- The first game loss was the first since the Penmen fell to LeMoyne 5-4 in eight innings on the Florida trip on March 11.
- SNHU won the series after taking Friday's game with Assumption 4-0. The Penmen keep a one-game lead in the NE10 Northeast division over Saint Anselm after the Hawks split a pair of one-run games with Merrimack on Saturday.
- Garczynski, who went just 1-for-8 in the series, is the only player in the NE10 hitting above .400. She is hitting .413. Over her four seasons with the Penmen, the only senior on the team is hitting .390 for her career with 177 games played.
- The Penmen will host LIU Post in a non-conference doubleheader on Sunday (12/2 p.m.) at the SNHU Softball Field. The Pioneers are 33-7 after a doubleheader sweep at Saint Thomas Aquinas on Saturday.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.