When and Where: April 14, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (SNHU Softball Field)
Game One: LIU Post 4, #13 Southern New Hampshire 2
Game Two: #13 Southern New Hampshire 5 LIU Post 0
Records: SNHU 32-6, LIU Post 34-8
- Sophomore Olivia Strasser (Rutland, Mass.) threw her sixth shutout, and second in two days, in the 5-0 win in the second game.
- Freshman Emily Carbonneau (Lowell, Mass.) broke a scoreless tie in the sixth inning of Game 2 with an RBI single.
- Junior Maddy Barone (Halifax, Mass.), the Game 1 starter, delivered a two-run pinch-hit double in the sixth inning of Game 2.
- Senior Erin Garczynski (Norwood, Mass.) went 2-for-5 on the day with a home run and a double.
GAME ONE: LIU Post 4-2
- The first three batters in the top of the first inning had hits, and all three scored as the Pioneers opened a 3-0 lead. Allie Laird singled and Julia Seader doubled for a 1-0 lead. Abbey Fortin followed with an RBI single and Megan Sweeden added a single for the third run.
- SNHUs Maddy Barone (L, 16-2) then settled down, not allowing a hit until the sixth inning.
- The Penmen had little success with Katie Humhej, who earned the win to improve to 18-4. SNHU did not have a hit until two outs in the bottom of the sixth inning when sophomore Emily Critch (Halifax, Mass.) singled and Garczynski blasted her fifth home run of the season to make it 3-2.
- The Pioneers got a run back in the top of the seventh inning on a solo home run by Patricia Dun.
GAME TWO: SNHU 5-0
- Strasser was brilliant once again for the Penmen. One day after tossing a two-hitter to beat Assumption 5-0 in Saturday's second game, Strasser nearly repeated the feat. She allowed three hits in a 5-0 win to improve to 12-1 on the season.
- SNHU again waited until late in the game to score, plating all five runs in the bottom of the sixth inning.
- Critch reached on an error and Garczynski sent her to second with a bunt. The next batter, junior Jordan Wade (East Taunton, Mass.), singled as pinch-runner freshman Abby Latham (Salem, N.H.) advanced to third.
- The next hitter was Carbonneau, who spent several minutes drawing attention from the training staff after fouling a ball into her throat. She stepped back into the box, lacing a single to right field to make it 1-0.
- Sophomore Shay Sauvageau (Griswold, Conn.) then walked ahead of pinch-hitter Barone, who doubled to right center to make it 3-0.
- Both Sauvageau and Barone would score when the Pioneers made a second error of the inning on a ground ball.
- Strasser worked around a lead-off walk in the seventh inning to close out the game.
- LIU Post, leading the East Coast Conference, was a team receiving votes in the latest NFCA Division II Coaches Poll.
- The Penmen complete a string of fourteen consecutive games played at the SNHU Softball Field.
- The Penmen will visit Saint Anselm College on Wednesday for a doubleheader. Game times are 3/5 p.m. SNHU (10-1) and Saint Anselm (10-2) are the top teams in the NE10 Northeast Division.
- The next home game will be Saturday, April 20 when the Penmen host Stonehill in NE10 doubleheader at 12/2 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.