When and Where: September 26, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (South Athletic Field Courts)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 5, Saint Anselm College 2
Records: SNHU 4-3 (3-2 NE10), Saint Anselm 2-6 (1-4 NE10)
Senior Rachel Wagner (Framingham, Mass.) won both her matches and clinched the win with her No. 4 singles victory, as the Southern New Hampshire University women's tennis team recorded a 5-2 triumph over crosstown-rival Saint Anselm College on Wednesday afternoon at the South Athletic Field Courts.
- Wagner was a 6-1, 6-0 winner against Maikah Bulpitt at No. 4 singles and also combined with freshman Alexxa Etienne (Bayamon, Puerto Rico) for a 6-1 victory against Emily Jacy and Kaitlin Hughes at No. 2 doubles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After Southern New Hampshire lost at No. 3 doubles, Wagner and Etienne posted their win before seniors Anna Sala (Matadepera, Spain) and Sofia Morais (Porto, Portugal) snagged the doubles point with a 6-0 blanking of Tess Malerbi and Bulpitt at No. 1.
- Etienne cruised to a 6-0, 6-0 No. 3 singles victory over Jacy, before Morais toppled Hughes at No. 2 singles, 6-1, 6-0, to make it 3-0.
- The Penmen clinched the match when Wagner claimed her No. 4 singles win.
- Sala added another win for good measure, taking down Malerbi, 6-2, 6-2, at No. 1 to stretch the lead to 5-0 before Saint Anselm won at Nos. 5 and 6.
- The Penmen, who have been playing without their No. 1 player, were also without their No. 5 singles player.
- Southern New Hampshire earns two points in the Queen City Cup standings with the win and now leads, 5-4, in the battle for Manchester supremacy.
- The Penmen are back in action Saturday, Sept. 29 (11 a.m.) when they take on Assumption College.
- The next home match for SNHU is Tuesday, Oct. 2 (3 p.m.) when it plays host to Stonehill College.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.