When and Where: March 31, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Field)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 6, Saint Anselm College 1
Records: SNHU 19-6 (5-1 NE10, 4-0 NE10 NE), Saint Anselm 5-16 (1-5 NE10, 0-4 NE10 NE)
Junior Wesley Tobin (Portsmouth, N.H.) threw seven strong innings and made a five-run sixth inning stand up, as the seventh-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team completed the regular-season series sweep of Saint Anselm College with a 6-1 victory Sunday morning at Penmen Field.
- Tobin allowed one run on three hits over seven innings, while striking out three and walking one.
- Sophomore Idelson Taveras (Lawrence, Mass.) went 2-for-2 at the plate with a pair of walks, an RBI and a run scored.
- Redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.; walk, two RBI), sophomore Dakota Mulcay (Goffstown, N.H.; RBI, run) and junior Phoenix Hernandez (Brooklyn, N.Y.; run) were all 1-for-3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Saint Anselm threatened in the top of the first, but could not take advantage of a Tyler McKeon double to left and a fielding error that put a pair in scoring position with two out, as Tobin induced an inning-ending groundout to get out of it.
- Southern New Hampshire cracked the scoreboard first in the bottom of the third when junior Tom Blandini (Bow, N.H.) drove a triple into gap in right-center field and scored one batter later on a groundout to the right side from classmate Jake Coro (Johnston, R.I.).
- The Hawks pulled even in the top of the fifth, as Nick Berry stroked a two-out double down the left field line and scored when Matt Collins dunked a single into centerfield.
- SNHU went back in front with a five-run home half of the sixth, with RBI singles from Mulcay and Taveras making it 3-1. A wild pitch brought in the third run of the inning, before Goldstein delivered a two-run single to right that stretched the lead to 6-1.
- Senior Matthew Messier (No. Troy, Vt.) stranded runners at the corners in the eighth, while redshirt-sophomore Alex Gomes (Peabody, Mass.) pitched a scoreless ninth for the Penmen.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Coro (RBI), Blandini (walk, run) and sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.; run) all finished 1-for-4.
- Messier allowed a hit, while striking out one and walking one, over an inning.
- Gomes allowed one hit and struck out two in his inning of work.
- The game was moved up to a 9 a.m. start due to expected rain that began falling in the top of the ninth.
- Southern New Hampshire has won 12 of its last 15, including six of the last seven and four straight.
- SNHU has now won 20-in-a-row against Saint Anselm, dating back to April 11, 2013.
- The Penmen have not trailed in four games this season at Penmen Field.
- Southern New Hampshire, which sweeps the regular-season series from Saint Anselm for the sixth straight year, earned a pair of points in the Queen City Cup standings with the two wins Saturday. The Penmen now lead, 19-15, in the battle for Manchester supremacy, with regular-season softball points still up for grabs.
- The Penmen return to action Tuesday, April 2 (3:30 p.m.) when they play host to in-state rival Franklin Pierce University at Penmen Field.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.