When and Where: April 18, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Field)
Score: Bentley University 5, Southern New Hampshire University 2
Records: Bentley 13-18 (10-7 NE10, 7-4 NE10 NE), SNHU 28-9 (14-4 NE10, 9-2 NE10 NE)
Bentley University hit three home runs Thursday, as it defeated the fourth-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team, 5-2, in the opening game of a three-game series at Penmen Field.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Bentley snapped a scoreless tie with one out in the top of the fifth when Brandon Grover put a charge into a pitch from redshirt-junior Endy Morales (Holyoke, Mass.) and took it over the fence in right.
- The Falcons made it 3-0 in the sixth when Max Troiani connected on a two-run blast to straightaway center field.
- Southern New Hampshire grabbed two runs back in the home half. After redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) was hit by a pitch to lead off the inning and sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) reached on a fielder's choice when the second baseman failed to get Goldstein, freshman Alex Kennedy (Braintree, Mass.) hit a grounder that ate up the second baseman and brought in the first Penmen run. Redshirt-sophomore Marcus Chavez (Queens, N.Y.) followed with a fielder's choice grounder to short that plated Henrie to pull the Penmen within 3-2.
- Bentley got them right back in the seventh, with Luke Figueira's two-run homer to left making it 5-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Sophomore Idelson Taveras (Lawrence, Mass.) finished 1-for-2.
- Goldstein (run) and graduate student John Stanton (Sandwich, Mass.) were each 1-for-3.
- Redshirt-senior Kevin Alexy (Newton, Mass.) was 1-for-4.
- Morales allowed five runs on five hits over six-and-two-thirds innings, while striking out five and not issuing a walk.
- Redshirt-junior Brendan Welch (Easton, Mass.) worked around a pair of walks and a hit in two-thirds of a scoreless inning.
- Senior Matthew Messier (No. Troy, Vt.) struck out four and gave up a hit in one-and-two-thirds innings of shutout work.
- Southern New Hampshire had won 13 of 15 entering the day
- The Penmen had captured 12 of the last 13 against Bentley prior to the loss.
- Chavez went 0-for-4 with an RBI to snap his four-game hitting streak.
- The Penmen return to action Friday (April 19) for the middle game of the series with Bentley at Penmen Field. The game was moved up and will now begin at 3 p.m. It will air on FOX College Sports, in its entirety, beginning at 3:30 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.