When and Where: April 28, 2019 – Worcester, Mass. (Rocheleau Field)
Score: Assumption College 5, Southern New Hampshire University 3
Records: Assumption 24-16 (12-10 NE10, 9-8 NE10 NE), SNHU 32-11 (18-6 NE10, 13-4 NE10 NE)
Redshirt-sophomore Marcus Chavez (Queens, N.Y.) went 2-for-4 and knocked in the go-ahead run in the fifth inning, but the 15th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team fell to Assumption College, 5-3, Sunday at Rocheleau Field.
- Chavez turned in the only multiple-hit day for the Penmen.
- Junior Tom Blandini (Bow, N.H.) and sophomore Dakota Mulcay (Goffstown, N.H.) both drove in a run and finished 1-for-4. Blandini also scored a run.
- Graduate student Camerona Scotia (Dudley, Mass.) threw two perfect innings of relief.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern New Hampshire grabbed a 1-0 lead in the top of the first with more two-out magic. Sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.) singled and then came around to score on a base hit to the gap in left-center by Mulcay.
- Assumption broke a scoreless stretch of 19-and-two-thirds innings in the series when it posted a pair of second-inning unearned runs against graduate student Chris Murphy (Billerica, Mass.). Matt Schneider led off with a single up the middle and – three batters later – scored, as Hunter Tralli reached on a two-out throwing error after a grounder to third. Alex Richardson put the Greyhounds in front, 2-1, with an RBI knock to left.
- The Penmen jumped back on top with a two-run fifth. Junior Jake Coro (Johnston, R.I.) led off with a double to left, advanced to third on a wild pitch and then scored three batters later on a two-out RBI double to right off the bat of Blandini. Chavez followed with a run-scoring single through the left side to make it 3-2.
- The Greyhounds again leapfrogged in front with a pair of two-out unearned runs in the home half. Richardson led off with a base hit, was sacrificed to second by Jared Brescia and scored on a two-out throwing error following a ground ball to first. After back-to-back hit batsmen, a wild pitch brought in the go-ahead run to make it 4-3. Redshirt-sophomore Alex Gomes (Peabody, Mass.) entered from the bullpen and recorded a punchout to strand a pair in scoring position.
- Assumption added an insurance run against Gomes in the sixth on a two-out infield single from Brescia that scored Matt Lonardo, who drew a leadoff walk, swiped second and moved to third on a groundout.
- The Penmen would get a runner to third with two outs in the eighth, but stranded him there, before going in order in the ninth.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Henrie (walk, run) and Coro (run) were each 1-for-3.
- Murphy (3-2) allowed four runs – all unearned – on four hits, while striking out six and not walking a batter, over four-and-two-thirds innings.
- Gomes gave up one run on two hits, striking out one and walking one, in one-and-a-third innings.
- Southern New Hampshire had its four-game winning streak snapped.
- Assumption picked up its first victory against the Penmen since a 6-3 win at Penmen Field on April 13, 2014 – halting a string of 16 consecutive losses in the series.
- The SNHU starters in the Assumption series – junior Wesley Tobin (Portsmouth, N.H.), redshirt-junior Endy Morales (Holyoke, Mass.) and Murphy – combined to go 2-0 with a 0.00 ERA, allowing four runs – all unearned – on 12 hits over 22-and-two-thirds innings, while striking out 26 and walking just four.
- Twelve of the 16 runs in the series were scored with two outs, including seven of SNHU's 11.
- The Penmen were 12-for-38 (.316) in the series when batting with two outs.
- Chavez is now 19-for-43 (.442) over his last 11 contests.
- The Penmen are back in action Tuesday, April 30 (6 p.m.) when they play host to in-state rival Franklin Pierce University at Penmen Field.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.