When and Where: October 27, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (Larkin Field)
Score: No. 3 Pace University 2, Southern New Hampshire University 1
Records: SNHU 7-7 (5-4 Northeast-10 Conference), No. 5 Pace 14-1 (10- Northeast-10 Conference)
Senior Maddie Holt (Seabrook, N.H.) registered her eighth goal of the season less than four minutes into the second half, but the Southern New Hampshire University field hockey team was unable to climb out of a two-goal halftime deficit, and fell to fifth-ranked Pace University, 2-1, on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Pace jumped out to a 1-0 lead midway through the eighth minute off a corner service from Sarah Bard, as Mia Lennon collected the ball at the top of the circle before finding Halley Rose near the right post, where she beat senior goalkeeper Melanie Rennie (Madison, Conn.).
- Rose struck again late in the 19th minute when she deflected in a shot from Paige Predmore on the left side of the circle.
- Southern New Hampshire sliced its deficit in half less than four minutes into the second stanza when redshirt-junior Cassidy Huckins (Loudon, N.H.) sent a pass from the left endline that caromed off defender to the middle of the circle for senior Maddie Holt (Seabrook, N.H.), who hammered home her opportunity to pull the Penmen within 2-1.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Setters outshot Southern New Hampshire, 11-6, and operated at a 7-3 advantage in penalty corners.
- Rennie stopped six shots in Saturday's setback, while her counterpart, Grace Henderson, steered aside two of the three Penmen attempts on frame.
- Holt's eight goals are tied for the team lead with Huckins.
- After reeling off three-straight wins, the Penmen have now lost back-to-back games. Each of Southern New Hampshire's last five losses have come by one goal.
- SNHU has held opponents to three goals or fewer in each of its previous 11 games and owns a 6-5 mark over that stretch.
- The Penmen sit seventh in the Northeast-10 Conference standings, just one game back of a three-way tie for fourth place.
- Southern New Hampshire is back in action Wednesday when it hosts Saint Michael's College at 6 p.m. on Larkin Field.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.