Nichols Charges Past Ice Hockey, 8-1

Nichols Charges Past Ice Hockey, 8-1


When and Where: December 8, 2015 – Harrisville, R.I. (Levy Rink)
Score: No. 13 Nichols College 8, Southern New Hampshire University 1
Records: Nichols 10-1-1, SNHU 4-8-1

Steve Lecey registered three points and Frank Butler scored twice to lead No. 13 Nichols College to an 8-1 victory over Southern New Hampshire University in non-conference ice hockey action at the Levy Rink on Tuesday night.

Lecey assisted on three of the seven Bison goals, while Butler was one of six Nichols student-athletes to notch two points.

The Bison charged out to a 2-0 lead with a pair of first period goals less than 30 seconds apart. Evan Schwartz broke the scoreless deadlock by providing Nichols the game's first goal 5:16 into the contest before Blake Kelley doubled the Bison advantage with what would prove to be the game-winner at 5:45. The Penmen answered midway through the frame when junior Nathan Bergeron (Auburn, Maine) set up senior Anthony Laperriere (Winchendon, Mass.) for his second of the season with 11:07 remaining before the intermission.

Both teams traded offensive opportunities in the opening moments of the second stanza before Nichols extended its lead back to two less than seven minutes into the period. Matthew Menta potted his fourth of the season with help from Lecey and Scott Cuthrell to make it 3-1 in favor of the hosts at 6:53. After Southern New Hampshire came up empty on a powerplay opportunity late in the middle frame, the Bison used a man advantage in the final minute to push their edge to 4-1. Butler netted his sixth of the year with 27 seconds left to play from Menta and Ben Campbell to send the teams to the locker room with Nichols out in front by three.

Nichols came out flying in the third period and put the game out of reach early. Butler's second of the evening made it 5-1 at 1:25 before Sean Swansen found the back of the net 31 seconds later to increase the Penmen deficit to 6-1. Campbell converted on the powerplay with 13:41 to go in regulation before Adam Morrison provided the final margin of scoring 11:41 into the period. 

Sophomore Ryan Slatky (Manchester, N.H.) turned away 22 shots over the course of the first 41:56 of play for Southern New Hampshire before classmate Tyler Kraft (Syracuse, N.Y.) added eight saves in the remaining 18:04. Alex Larson earned the win between the pipes for the Bison after 32-save outing that included 25 stops in the final two periods of play.

- Nichols held a 38-33 edge in shots for the contest, and each team was whistled for six minutes worth of penalties on three infractions.
- The Penmen allowed multiple goals in all three periods for the first time since Oct. 24 against Arizona State University.
What's Next:
Southern New Hampshire will look to rebound on Thursday (Dec. 10) when it closes out the 2015 portion of its schedule with a road contest against Western New England University at 7:10 p.m.

For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on TwitterFacebookYoutube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.