When and Where: March 30, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
Score: No. 17 Assumption College 16, Southern New Hampshire University 7
Records: SNHU 2-6 (1-4 Northeast-10 Conference), Assumption 6-3 (3-2 Northeast-10 Conference)
Sophomore Mason Barchard (Chester, N.H.) scored twice and freshman Chris Valentine (Derry, N.H.) recorded three points, but No. 17 Assumption College closed Saturday's Northeast-10 Conference men's lacrosse contest on a 7-0 run to down Southern New Hampshire University, 16-7.
- Valentine posted a goal and two assists for his third-straight multi-point outing.
- Sophomores Cole Jacobsen (Dartmouth, Mass.) and Stephen Dubois (Goffstown, N.H.) each tallied a goal and an assist.
- Senior Andrew Liu (Piedmont, Calif.) went 22-for-27 at the faceoff X and raked in nine ground balls.
- Owen Peterson III scored a game-high seven goals to pace the Greyhounds.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Assumption raced out to a quick two-goal lead with back-to-back goals just over four minutes into the first. After Adam Becker broke the ice for the Greyhounds at 4:02, Peterson tallied his first of the day 12 seconds later to push the lead to a pair.
- Senior Tom Schutz (Trumbull, Conn.) sliced the deficit in half with 8:56 remaining when he took a feed from Valentine in the left alley and deposited a diving shot into the back of the cage.
- After back-to-back Assumption goals made it a 4-1 contest through a quarter of play, Jacobsen collected a pass from Dubois and unloaded an overhand shot 36 seconds into the third that whizzed past the Greyhounds' Colby Hamwey.
- Another Peterson marker extended the Assumption lead back to three but Valentine answered with help from Jacobsen at 5:35 to bring the score back within two at 5-3.
- Dubois' 13th goal of the year came with 4:56 left in the first half, and split a four-goal burst by the Greyhounds that extended the score to 9-4, and freshman Tristan Pietz (Dudley, Mass.) potted his sixth with 23 seconds left to give the Penmen momentum heading into the intermission down, 9-5.
- Barchard opened the second half with back-to-back markers that closed the gap back to two goals. His first came 3:38 into the third before he capped his afternoon with help from sophomore Nolan Isabella (Ballston Spa, N.Y.) with four minutes remaining.
- It would as close as Southern New Hampshire would come, however, as Assumption closed the third with a pair of goal from Peterson and proceeded to tack on five more in the fourth quarter.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Redshirt sophomore Neal Murray (Marblehead, Mass.) stopped 12 shots in the final 30 minutes of play after freshman Alex Sturgess (Derry, N.H.) made seven saves in the opening two quarters.
- Hamwey registered 17 stops in the first 57:39 before giving way to John DeMott, who turned away the lone shot he faced.
- The Penmen were outshot, 45-35, including a 35-25 mark in shots on goal.
- SNHU was 1-for-1 on the man advantage and held the Greyhounds scoreless on their lone man up opportunity.
- The Penmen were facing a ranked opponent for the fourth consecutive game and for the fifth time in their last six outings.
- Jacobsen increased his team-leading point total to 27 in eight games. Since his first game of the season, the sophomore has at least two points in every SNHU contest and at least three in six of those tilts.
- Valentine extended his goal streak to eight games to start his collegiate career.
- Dubois upped his scoring streak to eight contests with a two-point outing. He now has 18 points and five multi-point games.
- Southern New Hampshire looks to snap its four-game slide Tuesday (April 2) when it heads to Bentley University for an NE10 clash at 7 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.