When and Where: April 2, 2019 – Waltham, Mass. (Bentley Field)
Score: Bentley University 14, Southern New Hampshire University 5
Records: SNHU 2-7 (1-5 Northeast-10 Conference), Bentley 5-2 (3-2 Northeast-10 Conference)
Senior Tom Schutz (Trumbull, Conn.) scored twice and sophomore Mason Barchard (Chester, N.H.) added a goal and an assist, but the Southern New Hampshire University men's lacrosse team dropped its fifth-straight Tuesday at Bentley University, 14-5.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Falcons stormed out to a five-goal lead less than 10 minutes into the first quarter. Sam Hurley opened the game's scoring 2:21 into the first before Mark Galione's natural hat trick ballooned the lead to four with 6:39 left. Galione then set up Alex Astarita at 9:15 to cap the run.
- Schutz put the Penmen on the board late in the first with help from Barchard to make it 5-1 with 2:30 left in the quarter before Barchard trimmed the deficit to three midway through the second with his third of the year.
- Bentley answered with a four-goal run that carried into the middle stages of the third to build a 9-2 edge before Schutz again stopped the run with his second of the night and 14th of the season.
- Another five-goal Falcons' run grew the score to 14-3 before freshmen Pat Quinn (Billerica, Mass.) and Owen McCuin (Hinesburg, Vt.) added single markers to provide the final margin of scoring.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Senior Andrew Liu (Piedmont, Calif.) went 16-for-23 at the faceoff X.
- Galione and Matt Brooks each registered five-point outings with the former scoring four times and adding assist, while the latter had a hat trick and a pair of helpers.
- Redshirt sophomore Neal Murray (Marblehead, Mass.) turned aside seven shots while his counterpart, Michael Haggan, dispatched 12 of the 15 attempts he saw in the opening 54:27.
- Bentley finished the evening 2-for-8 with the man advantage while the Penmen were unsuccessful on six opportunities.
- Southern New Hampshire looks to get back on track Saturday (April 6) when it heads to No. 4 Merrimack College for an NE10 tilt at 1 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.