When and Where: October 14, 2015 – Manchester, N.H. (Larkin Field)
Score: Southern New Hampshire 4, Saint Anselm College 1
Records: SNHU 11-0 (8-0 Northeast-10), SAC 3-8-1 (0-7-1 NE-10)
Sofiane Tergou (Bitche, France) totaled a goal and two assists as Southern New Hampshire downed Saint Anselm 4-1 in men's soccer Wednesday night.
Tergou made it 1-0 just over 10 minutes into the game when the Penmen were awarded a penalty kick after Orri Gustafsson (Akureyri, Iceland) was fouled in the box on a breakaway. Tergou converted the kick for his fifth goal of the season.
The Penmen struck twice in a 38 second span midway through the first half. Sebastian Stezewski (New Britain, Conn.) headed home a cross from the end line by Tergou, then at the 23:01 mark, Nate Horton (Stowe, Vt.) scored from the top of the box on a Tergou feed. With 5:53 left before halftime, Julian Omeally (Saint Catherine, Jamaica) netted his first collegiate goal to make it 4-0.
Saint Anselm got on the board with 23:13 remaining when Ken Desmarais lifted a shot from 20 yards that snuck in just under the crossbar.
Danny Milton (Ajax, Ontario) played the first 75:54 in goal for SNHU and did not make a save before giving way to Myles Groenloh (Gevelsberg, Germany), who played the rest of the way. Hawk keeper Stephen McLeod stopped four shots.
- SNHU's 11-0 start is its best since 1988 when the Penmen won their first 22 games. The Penmen are unbeaten in their last 16 dating back to last season, and unbeaten in their last 34 games at Larkin Field.
- The Penmen remain one of two unbeaten and untied teams nationally, along with Pfeiffer.
- Southern New Hampshire's four goals were a season high.
- The win gives SNHU an 8-1 lead in the Queen City Cup, an all-sport competition between the two Manchester rivals in the 17 sports they face each other in.
- SNHU outshot Saint Anselm 14-2.
Southern New Hampshire travels to Adelphi Saturday for a 3:00 contest against the Panthers.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter (@snhupenmen), Facebook (www.facebook.com/snhupenmen), Youtube (www.youtube.com/snhupenmen) and Instagram (www.instagram.com/snhupenmen). Sign up to receive text message alerts and email newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here: http://www.snhupenmen.com/list-signup