When and Where: March 23, 2019 – Oceanside, N.Y. (Point Set Indoor Racquet Club)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Adelphi University 0
Records: SNHU 5-3 (2-0 NE10), Adelphi 0-6 (0-2 NE10)
Graduate student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) won both of his matches, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team captured its second straight match, downing Adelphi University, 7-0, Saturday afternoon at the Point Set Indoor Racquet Club.
- Marreiros recorded a 6-3, 6-0 victory against Ilya Kalabukhau at No. 5 singles and also teamed with freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) for a 6-2 triumph at No. 2 doubles against Luke Attride-Stirling and David Robres de Veciana.
- Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal), ranked 59th in the nation, defeated Sabin Adrian Saveluc, 6-4, 6-2, at No. 1 singles to clinch the match. He also combined with freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) for a 6-2 win over Finn Krause and Kalabukhau to clinch the doubles point at No. 3.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Marreiros and Torres opened the match with their doubles win, before Fernandes and Vacalares followed to clinch the point and put the Penmen up, 1-0. Juniors Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) and Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands), ranked 29th in the country, made it a clean doubles sweep with another 6-2 victory at No. 1 against Saveluc and Connor Dove.
- Vacalares began singles play on the right foot for SNHU, posting a 6-2, 6-0 win at No. 3 against Robres de Veciana.
- Willem van Biezen then pushed the Panthers to the brink with a 6-4, 6-1 triumph over Attride-Stirling at No. 2, before Fernandes clinched the win for Southern New Hampshire at the top flight.
- Marreiros made it 5-0, with Bas van Biezen toppling Dove, 6-2, 6-1, at No. 4 and Torres notching a 7-5, 6-2 win against David Leader at No. 6, to finish off the shutout.
- Southern New Hampshire extends its NE10 winning streak, including the postseason, to 37 dating back to Oct. 15, 2015.
- Fernandes improves to 38-0 all-time against NE10 foes in singles action, including the postseason and ITA East Regional Championship tournaments.
- Bas van Biezen is also perfect in singles matches against NE10 rivals during his career at 13-0.
- Southern New Hampshire is ranked fourth in the ITA East Region.
- The Penmen are back in action Friday, March 29 when they play host to Queens (N.Y.).
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.