When and Where: March 29, 2019 – Goffstown, N.H. (YMCA Allard Center)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 4, Queens (N.Y.) College 1
Records: SNHU 6-3, Queens 6-4
Junior Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) was victorious in both of his matches, including the contest clincher at No. 2 singles, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team won its third-in-a-row with a 4-1 victory over Queens (N.Y.) College on Friday evening at the YMCA Allard Center of Goffstown.
- van Biezen posted a 6-2, 6-3 win at No. 2 singles against Cosme Jubera, and also teamed with classmate Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) to take down Richard Sec and Mariano Biblioni, 6-1, at No. 1 doubles.
- Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal), ranked 39th in the nation, recorded a 6-1, 6-4 triumph over Kareem Rashad at No. 1 singles.
- Freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) was also victorious at No. 3 singles with a 6-3, 6-1 win against Sec.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the van Biezens posted their doubles victory, graduate student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) and freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) clinched the doubles point with a 7-6 (7-3) win at No. 2 against Rashad and Lucas Demuth. Fernandes and Vacalares were edged at No. 3 by Jubera and Jose Zurro, 7-6 (7-0).
- Vacalares put the first singles point on the board for the Penmen, before Fernandes followed to make it 3-0.
- After Demuth made it past Bas van Biezen, 6-4, 6-4, at No. 4 singles, Willem van Biezen ended the match with his win at No. 2.
- The teams ended the match once it had been clinched.
- Southern New Hampshire, which has won three straight, is ranked fourth in the ITA East Region, while Queens is ranked No. 2.
- The Penmen have now defeated the second- and third-ranked teams in their region this season.
- The Penmen are back in action Saturday, March 30 (1 p.m.) when they resume Northeast-10 play against Stonehill College at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.