When and Where: March 30, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (SNHU Tennis Courts at Penmen Stadium)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 6, Stonehill College 1
Records: SNHU 7-3 (3-0 NE10), Stonehill 9-4 (1-1 NE10)
Junior Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) won both of his matches and clinched the win at No. 4 singles, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team captured its fourth straight with a 6-1 triumph over Stonehill College on Saturday afternoon at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
- van Biezen was a 6-1, 6-3 winner at No. 4 singles against Vincent Huynh and also combined with classmate Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) for a 6-3 No. 1 doubles victory over Trent Newman and Samuel Miller. Willem van Biezen won his No. 2 singles match against Miller, 6-3, 6-2.
- Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal), ranked 39th in the nation, breezed past Newman, 6-0, 6-2 at No. 1 singles.
- Freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) made quick work of Russell White at No. 3 singles, winning, 6-0, 6-1.
- Fernandes and Vacalares teamed up for a 6-1 victory against Luke Mendoza and Huynh at No. 3 doubles.
- Freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) also won his two matches, with a 6-1, 7-6 (7-1) win versus Juan Riano Rojas at No. 5 singles and a No. 2 doubles win.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Fernandes and Vacalares set the tone early with their No. 3 doubles win, before Torres and graduate student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) clinched the doubles point with a 6-1 win at No. 2 over White and Aleksander Lazowski. The van Biezens then added their victory to make it a clean sweep.
- Vacalares and Fernandes completed their singles wins before Bas van Biezen won his match to make it 4-0 and clinch the victory.
- Willem van Biezen and Torres extended the lead to 6-0, before Stonehill won at No. 6 to cap the contest.
- Southern New Hampshire, which has won four straight, is ranked fourth in the ITA East Region.
- SNHU extends its NE10 winning streak, including the postseason, to 38 dating back to Oct. 15, 2015.
- Fernandes improves to 39-0 all-time against NE10 foes in singles action, including the postseason and ITA East Regional Championship tournaments.
- Bas van Biezen is also perfect in singles matches against NE10 rivals during his career at 14-0.
- The Penmen are back in action Wednesday, April 3 (3 p.m.) when they play host to Saint Michael's College at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.