When and Where: April 3, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Saint Michael's College 0
Records: SNHU 8-3 (4-0 NE10), Saint Michael's 4-10 (1-3 NE10)
Junior Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) was one of four Penmen to not drop a single game all day, as he won at No. 2 to clinch the match and lead the Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team to a 7-0 shutout of Saint Michael's College on a windy Wednesday afternoon at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
- van Biezen blanked Dan Foley, 6-0, 6-0 at No. 2 singles and also teamed with classmate Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) for a 6-2 triumph over Max Allen and Foley at No. 1 to clinch the doubles point
- Freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines), Bas van Biezen and freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) all captured their singles matches, 6-0, 6-0.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Sophomore Noah Sullivan (Meredith, N.H.) and senior Faizan Khalid (Manchester, N.H.) posted an early 6-0 victory against Constantin Krogh and Tirth Barot at No. 3, before the van Biezens, ranked 36th in the nation, collected their win to clinch the point. Torres and graduate student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) completed the doubles sweep with a 6-2 No. 2 win over Matt Mosher and Jake Remillard.
- Vacalares closed out his No. 3 singles win first, taking down Mosher, 6-0, 6-0.
- Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal) extended the Penmen lead to 3-0 with a 6-0, 6-1 defeat of Allen.
- Willem van Biezen clinched the victory with his win at No. 2.
- Torres made quick work of Krogh at No. 5, 6-0, 6-0.
- Bas van Biezen recorded a 6-0, 6-0 victory over Ivan Llona at No. 4.
- Khalid took down Barot, 6-1, 6-0, at No. 6 to move to 2-0 this season in singles play.
- Southern New Hampshire, which has won five straight, is ranked fourth in the ITA East Region.
- SNHU extends its NE10 winning streak, including the postseason, to 39 dating back to Oct. 15, 2015.
- Fernandes improves to 40-0 all-time against NE10 foes in singles action, including the postseason and ITA East Regional Championship tournaments.
- Bas van Biezen is also perfect in singles matches against NE10 rivals during his career at 15-0.
- The Penmen are back in action Saturday, April 6 (12 p.m.) when they take on Franklin Pierce University.
- The next home match for SNHU is Sunday, April 7 (11 a.m.) when it takes a break from conference play to host to Endicott College at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtubeand Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.