When and Where: April 11, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Bentley University 0
Records: SNHU 11-3 (6-0 NE10), Bentley 11-5 (4-1 NE10)
The 49th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team rolled to its fourth consecutive 7-0 win Thursday afternoon when it toppled Bentley University at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
- Graduate student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal) captured his No. 1 singles match against Dylan Granat, winning 4-6, 6-4, 10-4. Fernandes and freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) also defeated Nicholas Hatcher and Mauricio Fadul Rubod, 6-2, at No. 3 singles.
- Vacalares was a 6-3, 6-2 winner at No. 3 singles against Michael Fuca.
- Junior Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) edged Daniel Weitz, 6-4, 6-4 at No. 2 singles, in addition to combining with classmate Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) to double up Granat and Connor Aulson, 6-3, at No. 1 doubles.
- Bas van Biezen outlasted Aulson, 6-4, 7-5, at No. 4 singles.
- Grad student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) made quick work of Kendall Au, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 5 singles and also teamed with classmate Ricardo Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) to take down Weitz and Au, 6-1, at No. 2 doubles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- After the Marreiros twins earned their doubles win, Fernandes and Vacalares clinched the point, before the van Biezens finished off the doubles sweep.
- Miguel Marreiros began singles play with his win, while Vacalares followed to make it 3-0.
- Freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico) clinched the match with a 6-2, 6-3 triumph over Alexander Novins at No. 6 singles.
- Willem van Biezen, Fernandes and Bas van Biezen followed with singles wins to finish off the Falcons.
- Southern New Hampshire, which has won eight straight, is ranked 49th in the ITA Division II Poll and fourth in the ITA East Region.
- The Penmen have won four-in-a-row by a 7-0 score, last losing a point March 30.
- SNHU extends its NE10 winning streak, including the postseason, to 41 dating back to Oct. 15, 2015.
- Fernandes improves to 42-0 all-time against NE10 foes in singles action, including the postseason and ITA East Regional Championship tournaments.
- The set Fernandes dropped was just the fourth of his career against an NE10 opponent.
- Bas van Biezen is also perfect in singles matches against NE10 rivals during his career at 17-0.
- The Penmen are back in action Saturday, April 13 (1 p.m.) when they play host to Le Moyne College at the Penmen Stadium Tennis Courts.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.