When and Where: April 17, 2019 – Worcester, Mass. (Assumption Tennis Courts)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 7, Assumption College 0
Records: SNHU 13-3 (8-0 NE10), Assumption 2-15 (4-6 NE10)
Graduate student Ricardo Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) clinched his second straight win – this time with a No. 5 singles win – as the 49th-ranked Southern New Hampshire University men's tennis team inched closer to a Northeast-10 Regular-Season Championship with a 7-0 victory at Assumption College on Wednesday afternoon at the Assumption Tennis Courts.
- Marreiros took down Jameson Keppeler, 6-3, 6-2, at No. 5 singles to clinch the match for the Penmen for the second consecutive contest.
- Grad student Tiago Fernandes (Porto, Portugal) led Max Francis, 6-4, after the first set at No. 1 before Francis was forced to retire. Fernandes also combined freshman Emmanuel Vacalares (Cagayan de Oro, Philippines) to blank Michael Butkus and Jacob Lawrence, 6-0, at No. 3 doubles.
- Vacalares was a 6-3, 6-1 winner at No. 2 singles against Reb Mariano.
- Junior Bas van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) posted a 6-2, 7-5 victory over Brandon Sze at No. 3 singles, after teaming with classmate Willem van Biezen (Sassenheim, The Netherlands) for a 6-1 defeat of Francis and Mariano at No. 1 doubles.
- Grad student Miguel Marreiros (Portimao, Portugal) breezed past Lawrence, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4 singles and downed Sze and Keppeler, 6-1, at No. 2 doubles with freshman Fernando Torres (Trujillo Alto, Puerto Rico).
- Torres collected a 6-0, 6-3 triumph against Butkus at No. 6 singles.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The van Biezens started off the match with their No. 1 doubles win, before Vacalares and Fernandes clinched the point at No. 3. Torres and Miguel Marreiros made it 3-for-3 with the victory at No. 2 doubles.
- After Fernandes earned the second Penmen point when his opponent retired, Vacalares posted his win to make it 3-0.
- Ricardo Marreiros then clinched the win at No. 5.
- Miguel Marreiros and Bas van Biezen added their victories, before Torres capped the match at No. 6.
- Southern New Hampshire, which has won 10 straight, is ranked 49th in the ITA Division II Poll and fourth in the ITA East Region.
- The Penmen can capture their fourth straight NE10 Regular-Season Championship with a victory at Merrimack College on Saturday.
- SNHU extends its NE10 winning streak, including the postseason, to 43 dating back to Oct. 15, 2015.
- Fernandes improves to 44-0 all-time against NE10 foes in singles action, including the postseason and ITA East Regional Championship tournaments.
- The Penmen wrap up the regular season Saturday, April 20 (1 p.m.) when they take on Merrimack.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.