When and Where: NCAA Division II Cross Country Championship- December 1, 2018 – Pittsburgh, Pa. (Schenley Park) - Distance: 10k
Result: Southern New Hampshire University – 34th/34 (261)
The Southern New Hampshire University men's cross country team wrapped up the season Saturday morning, competing in the NCAA Division II Cross Country Championship. The race was held at Bob O'Conner Golf Course at Schenley Park in Pittsburgh, Pa.
Although SNHU has had individual performers in the race, this was the first time the full squad qualified after finishing fourth at the NCAA Division II East Regional on Long Island last month.
Sophomore Micah Hewitson (New Market, Md.), the top SNHU finisher at the East Regional, again led the squad in Saturday's 10K.
In addition to SNHU, three other NE10 schools ran in the race with American International College finishing in 20th place, just ahead of Stonehill College. Southern Connecticut State finished in 33rd place, just ahead of the Penmen in the 34-team field. Grand Valley State University won the race for the first time in school history. The school also claimed the Division II Women's Championship in a 6K race run Saturday afternoon.
- Sophomore Micah Hewitson (New Market, Md.) finished 218th in 36:28.8.
- Sophomore Jack Ardrey (Milford, Conn.) came in 222nd in 36:31.8.
- Sophomore Cedric Jocelyn (Nyack, N.Y.) placed 227th in 36:41.6.
- Freshman Alex Boedeker (Attleboro, Mass.) was 235th in 36:52.5.
- Freshman Ethan Matthews (Ayer, Mass.) ran 37:06.9 and came in 239th.
- Freshman Conner Leone (Southington, Conn.) finished 245th in 37:21.2.
- Junior Michael Moreno (Houston, Texas) was 256th with a time of 37:44.9.
- A restart was called after a runner fell about 100m into the race.
- More than 900 student-athletes were in Pittsburgh for six NCAA fall championships. The festival included opening and closing ceremonies and an athlete village.
- The young Penmen squad finished the season with wins at the Shacklette Invitational and UMass Dartmouth Corsair Invitational.
- The team finished fourth at both the Northeast-10 Conference Championship and the NCAA Division II East Regional.
- The fourth place finish at the regional was the best finish in school history.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.