When and Where: April 3, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (SNHU Softball Field)
Game 1: #16 Southern New Hampshire 3, Saint Michael's 0
Game 2: #16 Southern New Hampshire 8, Saint Michael's 0 (5 innings)
Records: SNHU 23-4 (8-0 NE10, 6-0 NE10 NE), Saint Michael's 2-14 (1-5 NE10, 1-5 NE10 NE)
- Junior Maddy Barone improved to 12-1, 0.95. The shutout was her fifth of the season.
- Freshman Emily Carbonneau went 3-for-6 with a homer and three RBI on the day.
- Senior Erin Garczynski also homered, and with nine hits in her last four games, is now hitting .471 on the season.
- Junior Gabriella Vachon hit her team-leading sixth homer.
Game One: SNHU 3-0
- With junior Maddy Barone (Halifax, Mass.) holding the Purple Knights in check, the Penmen used a pair of solo homers to take a 2-0 lead.
- Senior Erin Garczynski (Norwood, Mass.) went deep in the first inning to put SNHU up 1-0.
- Freshman Emily Carbonneau (Lowell, Mass.) hit her home run leading off the bottom of the fourth inning.
- Barone followed the Carbonneau homer with a double, advancing to third on a wild pitch. Sophomore Shay Sauvageau (Griswold, Conn.), who went 3-for-3 in the opener, singled home Barone.
- Barone allowed six hits, did not walk any batters, and struck out nine.
Game Two: SNHU 8-0
- The Penmen tallied four times in the first inning, and eight times in the first three innings en route to a run-rule win.
- SNHU started the game with three consecutive singles by freshman Chloe Griffin (Scarborough, Maine), sophomore Emily Critch (Halifax, Mass.) and Garczynski (bunt). Griffin scored from second for the first run.
- Carbonneau and sophomore Jackie Gavin (Laconia, N.H.) then delivered run scoring singles for a 3-0 lead. Junior Gabriella Vachon (Newton, Mass.) added a sacrifice fly.
- Griffin, Critch and Carbonneau put together three singles for another run in the bottom of the second inning.
- After Sauvageau was hit by a pitch in the bottom of the third, Vachon unloaded to center field for a two-run home run to make it 7-0.
- Garczynski had the final RBI with a single in the third after hits by junior Erin Tyrrell (Milford, N.H.) and Critch.
- Sophomore Olivia Strasser (Rutland, Mass.) and sophomore Ali Atherton (Milford, Mass.) combined on the shutout. Strasser, who improved to 7-1, worked into the fourth inning, leaving after allowing a single by Fallon Tierney and a double by Danielle Markowski. Atherton worked out of the jam in the fourth, and then retired Saint Michael's in order in the top of the fifth inning.
- The Penmen jumped in the NFCA D2 Poll from 18th to 16th based on results of games through March 31.
- During the current 15-game win streak, the Penmen have recorded eight shutouts, and outscored the opponent 79-8.
- The winning streak eclipses the mark of 13 in-a-row established by the SNHU team to open last season.
- The Penmen will host Pace University in a home doubleheader on Saturday, April 6 (12/2 p.m.). Adelphi University, currently the leaders of the NE10 Southwest Division, come to Hooksett for a doubleheader on Sunday (12/2 p.m.).
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.