When and Where: April 23, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (SNHU Softball Field)
Result: Saint Anselm 3, #13 SNHU 1
Records: SNHU 35-10 (19-5 NE10, 13-5 NE10 Northeast), Saint Anselm 32-8 (20-2 NE10, 16-2 NE10 Northeast)
- Sophomore Emily Critch (Halifax, Mass.) went 2-for-2 with a home run.
- Senior Erin Garczynski (Norwood, Mass.) went 3-for-4.
- Sophomore Olivia Strasser (Rutland, Mass.) took a shut out to the seventh inning, but ended up suffering only her second loss of the season.
HOW IT HAPPENED:
- Critch hit the second pitch of the bottom of the first inning out for her fifth home run of the season.
- The home run came off Hawk starter Morgan Perry, who pitched a complete game to improve to 18-5 on the season.
- The Penmen let a great scoring chance go by the boards in the bottom of the third inning when they loaded the bases with no outs, but didn't score.
- Strasser was the given the opportunity to finish what she started, needing three outs in the seventh. After retiring the first batter, Kylie Fitzpatrick doubled in the gap in right center and Baily Cain singled the runner home to tie the game at 1-1.
- After notching the second out, the Hawks would hit three consecutive singles off Strasser and sophomore Ali Atherton (Milford, Mass.) to build a 3-1 lead. Maggie Murphy broke the tie with her base hit and Lauren Washburn added the other RBI.
- In the last of the seventh inning, Critch walked but was erased on a fielders choice. Garczynski then singled to give the Penmen one last opportunity, but Perry got junior Jordan Wade (East Taunton, Mass.) to end the game.
- Saint Anselm will be the top seed, finishing in first place in the Northeast Division of the NE10. SNHU is in second place.
- With three hits, Garczynski raised her season average to .426, tops in the NE10. Prior to the game, she was recognized on Senior Day in her final regular season home game. Garczynski is the program's lone senior.
- The Penmen will complete the regular season at Merrimack. The first of the three games is this Friday, April 26 at 3 p.m.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.