When and Where: April 5, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
Score: Assumption College 22, Southern New Hampshire University 19
Records: Assumption 8-3 (4-3 NE10), SNHU 4-7 (1-6 NE10)
Senior Kristin Wilder (Framingham, Mass.) found the back of the net six times and classmate Alexis Felt (Manchester, N.H.) notched her 100th career goal, but the Southern New Hampshire University women's lacrosse team had its late rally fall short in a 22-19 loss to 17th-ranked Assumption College on Friday afternoon at Penmen Stadium.
- Wilder, SNHU's all-time goals and points leader, is now averaging four goals per contest over her last five games.
- Felt registered three goals and an assist.
- Freshman Erin Gorton (Kennebunk, Maine) produced a career-high five points on three goals and two assists. It was Gorton's first multi-goal game with the Penmen.
- Junior Merry Harrington (Peabody, Mass.) scored a season-high four goals.
- Freshman Kelsey Long (Woburn, Mass.) also recorded four points with two goals and a pair of assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Harrington gave Southern New Hampshire a 1-0 lead just under two minutes in, before Assumption scored three straight to go on top, 3-1, with 17:01 remaining in the opening half. The Penmen stormed back with four straight, including a pair from Harrington, to go in front, 5-3, with 13:19 left.
- The Greyhounds scored back-to-back goals to pull even at 5-all, but Wilder potted her second of the game to give SNHU a 6-5 lead with under 10-and-a-half minutes to play. Assumption responded by scoring eight of the final 10 goals of the first half, including two in the final 17 seconds, to bring a 13-8 lead to the break.
- Felt opened the second half with consecutive goals – with the first one marking her milestone – that made it a three-score game a little more than three minutes in. Assumption again answered with a big run, scoring seven of the next nine to seize a 20-12 advantage with under 10 minutes on the clock.
- Southern New Hampshire climbed back into it with five straight, as part of a 7-1 run that slashed its deficit to 21-19 with 3:06 to go. Wilder scored three times during the stretch. Assumption would win the ensuing draw control and take more than two-and-a-half minutes off the clock before scoring a free-position goal that all but sealed it. SNHU would get the ball back, but only get two shots off before time ran out.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Freshman Madison Peredna (Derry, N.H.) tallied a goal and an assist.
- Freshman Hayle Ashford (Atkinson, N.H.) racked up 13 saves, while Assumption goalie Allie Collins stopped six shots.
- Assumption outshot Southern New Hampshire, 41-32, including 23-13 in the opening half.
- The Greyhounds also held a 26-17 advantage in draw controls.
- The Penmen were 3-for-5 on their free-position attempts, while Assumption was 4-for-9.
- Southern New Hampshire loses its third straight, while Assumption has now won three of four.
- Felt becomes the first Penmen to reach the 100-goal milestone since Alexa Bedell last season.
- Wilder now has 222 goals, while Harrington stands at 71.
- Wilder (38), Felt (29) and Long (23) remain 1-2-3 on the team in goals.
- The Penmen return to action Wednesday, April 10 (3:30 p.m.) when they play host to the University of New Haven at Penmen Stadium.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.