When and Where: April 10, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (Penmen Stadium)
Score: University of New Haven 12, Southern New Hampshire University 5
Records: UNH 8-4 (6-3 NE10), SNHU 4-8 (1-7 NE10)
Junior Merry Harrington (Peabody, Mass.) matched her season high by scoring four goals for the second consecutive contest, but the Southern New Hampshire University women's lacrosse team was handed a 12-5 loss by the 16th-ranked University of New Haven on Wednesday afternoon at Penmen Stadium.
- Harrington scored the first four goals of the game for the Penmen.
- Freshman Kelsey Long (Woburn, Mass.) recorded SNHU's other goal.
- Freshman Hayle Ashford (Atkinson, N.H.) stopped 14 of the 26 shots she faced.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- New Haven scored the game's first goal 43 seconds in, before Harrington answered at the 25:06 mark. Harrington again pulled Southern New Hampshire even at the 11:03 mark, before she scored her third of the day to put the Penmen up, 3-2, with 6:46 remaining in the opening half. The Chargers would score the final two of the stanza to bring a 4-3 edge to the break.
- New Haven came out with four straight in the second half to widen its advantage to 8-3 less than four minutes in. SNHU scored two of the next three, with Harrington and Long finding the back of the net to pull within 9-5 at 14:38, but the Chargers would score the final three to put it away.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Gianna Guerra made 15 saves for New Haven.
- New Haven outshot Southern New Hampshire, 32-25, including 19-14 in the second half.
- The Chargers also held a 12-7 advantage in draw controls.
- The Penmen were 3-for-7 on their free-position attempts, while New Haven was 3-for-6.
- Southern New Hampshire loses its fourth straight, while New Haven wins its second-in-a-row.
- Harrington now has 75 career goals.
- The Penmen return to action Saturday, April 13 (1 p.m.) when they take on Southern Connecticut State University.
- The next home game for SNHU is Saturday, April 20 (2 p.m.) when it plays host to Pace University at Penmen Stadium.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.