When and Where: September 1, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (St. Anselm College)
Distance: Women's race, 5K
Results: Southern New Hampshire University – 2nd/5 (75)
The Penmen opened the season with a solid second place finish at the 37th annual Philip J. Shacklette Invitational at St. Anselm College. Sophomore Maura Coakley (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) finished second in 19:42.
- Coakley finished 16 seconds behind the race winner, Katherine Ferrara, of Merrimack.
- Two other Penmen finished in the top ten - freshman Grace Henson (Cumberland, R.I.) was fourth in 19:56 and junior Jill Dieterich (Commack, N.Y.) was eighth at 20:11.
- Senior Ashley Dennis (Coventry, R.I.) ran 20:56 and finished 19th.
- Junior Madison Brand (Valhalla, N.Y.) was 22nd in 21:09.
- SNHU participated in the Shacklette for the first time since 2015. Merrimack finished first. St. Anselm (3rd) , Bentley (4th) and St. Michael's (5th) also participated.
- This is Southern New Hampshire's best finish at the Shacklette since finishing second in 2010.
- The Penmen ran without junior Jill Couto (Newton Junction, N.H.) who was held out as a precaution (illness).
- The Penmen will compete at the UMass Dartmouth Corsair Invitational on September 15.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.