When and Where: March 10, 2019 – Lantana, Fla. (Santaluces Complex)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 9, Caldwell University 2
Records: SNHU 9-3, Caldwell 2-1
Graduate student Jake Walkinshaw (Seymour, Conn.) struck out a career-high 13 batters over eight shutout innings, as the eighth-ranked Southern New Hampshire University baseball team opened its Florida trip with a 9-2 victory over Caldwell University on Sunday afternoon at the Santaluces Complex.
- Walkinshaw (2-0) scattered six hits and did not walk a batter in his stellar outing.
- Junior Jake Coro (Johnston, R.I.) went 3-for-4 at the plate with a walk and two runs scored.
- Grad student John Stanton (Sandwich, Mass.) was 2-for-3 with a walk, RBI and run scored.
- Junior Dylan Faircloth (Cleveland, Texas) also turned in a multi-hit performance, going 2-for-4 with a pair of RBI and a run.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Southern New Hampshire grabbed the game's first run in the bottom of the first when junior Tom Blandini (Bow, N.H.) drew a leadoff walk, went to second when redshirt-junior Sean Doherty (Haverhill, Mass.) reached on an error, advanced to third on a passed ball and scored on a sacrifice fly to right from sophomore Sam Henrie (Middleboro, Mass.).
- The score stayed 1-0 into the fourth when senior Joshua Zbierski (Stafford Springs, Conn.) led off with a doubled and went to third on a wild pitch. After freshman Alex Kennedy (Braintree, Mass.) walked, Stanton came through with a double that made it 2-0 and put a pair in scoring position. Doherty's two-out double three batters later plated both runs to put the Penmen up, 4-0.
- After retiring the first 12 batters he faced, Walkinshaw escaped a one-out, bases-loaded jam in the fifth with a big strikeout and fly ball to center.
- SNHU added two more in the seventh, with Coro drawing a leadoff walk and Faircloth singling, before an error put both in scoring position. Kennedy came through two batters later with a two-run single that stretched the lead to 6-0.
- Doherty was hit by a pitch to lead off the eighth inning, with Henrie following by working a walk, before an RBI double from Coro and two-run double from Faircloth broke it wide open at 9-0.
- With Walkinshaw out of the game for the ninth, Caldwell finally found the scoreboard, as Luis Rullan's one-out, two-run single made it 9-2.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Kennedy finished 1-for-1 with a walk, two RBI and a run scored in his Penmen debut.
- Henrie was 1-for-3 with a walk, RBI and a run.
- Doherty (two RBI, run), Zbierski (run) and redshirt-junior Joshua Goldstein (Haverhill, Mass.) all went 1-for-4.
- Senior Xavier Czepiel (Southampton, N.J.) relinquished two runs on three hits, striking out a pair and not walking a batter, in an inning of work.
- Southern New Hampshire has won eight of its last nine and two straight.
- Walkinshaw takes over sole possession of fourth place on the program's all-time wins list with his 18th career victory. He needs just two more wins to move into second place.
- The Penmen return to action Monday, March 11 when they take on Post University in doubleheader action.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.