When and Where: October 31, 2018 – Manchester, N.H. (Larkin Field)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 2, Saint Michael's College 0
Records: SNHU 8-7 (6-4 Northeast-10 Conference), SMC 2-12 (2-8 Northeast-10 Conference)
Sophomore Hélène Servais (Brussels, Belgium) handed out a pair of assists and the Southern New Hampshire University defense limited Saint Michael's College to just two shots on goal Wednesday, as the Penmen blanked the Purple Knights, 2-0, in Northeast-10 Conference field hockey action on Larkin Field.
- Redshirt-junior Cassidy Huckins (Loudon, N.H.) registered her team-leading ninth goal of the season.
- Senior Lindsey Poirier (South Berwick, Maine) tallied her second goal of the season.
- Junior Laura van der Doorn (Beverwijk, The Netherlands) kept the clean sheet in tact with a defensive save, while senior Melanie Rennie (Madison, Conn.) kicked aside the lone shot she faced.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Huckins broke the scoreless deadlock just over five minutes into the contest, as she collected a feed from Servais off a penalty corner and punched it into the back of the cage to stake the hosts to a 1-0 lead.
- Southern New Hampshire was awarded an untimed penalty corner at the end of regulation, and Servais received the ball at the top of the circle before unloading a shot on goal. Poirier was stationed in front and redirected the shot past the Saint Michael's keeper to provide the final margin of victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Penmen outshot the Purple Knights, 21-4, over 70-plus minutes, which included 16 shots on target compared to just two from Saint Michael's.
- Southern New Hampshire worked nine penalty corners while its defense did not surrender one.
- Wednesday's Northeast-10 Conference victory was SNHU's sixth league triumph of the year and sets a new program record for conference wins in a single season. The Penmen previously won five NE10 contests in 2016 and four a season ago after going winless in conference action during its first two seasons.
- Huckins goal was the 14th of her career, and extends her career-high season point total to 21. Entering the 2018 season, Huckins had amassed 11 points in her first two seasons at SNHU.
- van der Doorn's defensive save was the first of her career.
- Southern New Hampshire continues Northeast-10 play Saturday (November 3) when it makes the trip to Franklin Pierce University to battle the Ravens at 2 p.m.