When and Where: January 15, 2019 – Syracuse, N.Y. (Ted Grant Court)
Score: Le Moyne College 77, Southern New Hampshire University 68
Records: Le Moyne 8-6 (5-4 NE10), SNHU 9-6 (5-5 NE10)
Senior Daquaise Andrews (Queens, N.Y.) paced four scorers in double figures with 21 points, but the Southern New Hampshire University men's basketball team could not dig out of a 23-point, second-half deficit in a 77-68 loss to Le Moyne College on Tuesday night at Ted Grant Court.
- Andrews, who scored 17 of his points in the second half, was 8-for-18 from the field and 5-for-6 at the stripe, to go with six rebounds and four assists.
- Senior Remo Simankevicius (Melbourne, Australia) posted 11 points (5-5 FG, 1-1 FT) and five rebounds in 17 minutes off the bench.
- Classmate Charlie Russo (Syracuse, N.Y.) tallied 10 points (3-8 FG, 2-4 3-FG, 2-2 FT) – all after halftime – three rebounds and two steals in his homecoming.
- Junior Shawn Montague (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) fell just shy of a double-double with 10 points (4-6 FG, 1-1 3-FG, 1-2 FT) and nine boards.
- C.J. Asuncion-Byrd led the Dolphins with 19 points (8-13 FG, 1-2 3-FG, 2-4 FT). Tim Leavell scored 15 points (5-9 FG, 5-8 3-FG) off the bench, with Tom Brown adding 14 (6-12 FG, 2-6 3-FG) and seven assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Le Moyne bolted out of the starting blocks with a 25-5 blitz over the opening 8:36 of the game, hitting five straight 3-pointers near the end of the stretch. Byrd and Brown led the way with nine and eight points, respectively. Four straight from Montague temporarily stopped the bleeding for SNHU, but a pair of Leavell 3s carried a 6-1 run that stretched the lead to 31-10 with 6:43 remaining.
- Southern New Hampshire netted 12 of the next 19 to climb within 16, but Le Moyne would end the half on a 5-2 flurry that pushed the halftime advantage to 43-24.
- The Le Moyne lead was at 21 (68-47) with under seven-and-a-half minutes to play when a 21-9 rush – led by 10 points from Andrews – slashed the Penmen deficit to nine, but they would run out of time.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Le Moyne outshot Southern New Hampshire, 49.1 percent (28-57) to 48.1 percent (26-54), including 42.9 percent (12-28) to 30.8 percent (4-13) from beyond the arc.
- SNHU was plus-3 from the line, despite being outshot, 81.8 percent (9-11) to 75 percent (12-16).
- The Penmen won the glass (34-27) and the paint (42-32), in addition to turning in more second chance points. The Dolphins piled up more points off mistakes (12-0) and featured a much better assist-to-turnover ratio (18/5-9/10).
- Senior Jon Martin (Manchester, N.H.) chimed in with eight points (3-7 FG, 1-3 3-FG, 1-2 FT), two rebounds and two assists.
- Junior Eamonn Joyce (Medford, Mass.) chipped in five points (2-5 FG, 1-1 FT) and three boards.
- Southern New Hampshire had its four-game winning streak snapped, while Le Moyne turned around a stretch in which it had lost six of eight.
- Andrews' 21 points move him past Miguel Gonzalez (2002-06) and into 22nd place on the program's all-time scoring list with 1,431 points.
- Andrews' 10th 20-point performance of the season is the 23rd of his career.
- The Penmen return to action Wednesday, Jan. 23 (7:30 p.m.) when they play host to the College of Saint Rose at the Stan Spirou Field House in game that will air on WGIR 610-AM.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.