When and Where: November 17, 2019 – Manchester, N.H. (Stan Spirou Field House)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 84, College of Staten Island 54
Records: SNHU 3-0, CSI 0-3
Junior Michael Almonacy (Brentwood, N.Y.) scored a team-best 17 points, and senior Shawn Montague (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) recorded a double-double of 15 points and 11 rebounds, as the Southern New Hampshire University men's basketball team improved to 3-0 with an 84-54 win against the College of Staten Island on Sunday afternoon in its home opener at the Stan Spirou Field House.
- Almonacy – 17 points (6-9 FG, 5-6 3-FG), 5 rebounds, 2 assists, 2 steals
- Montague – 15 points (7-12 FG, 1-3 FT), 11 rebounds, career-high 5 blocks
- Junior Corry Long (Cincinnati, Ohio) – 11 points (5-8 FG, 1-3 3-FG), 3 rebounds
- Sophomore Justyn Lacy (Catskill, N.Y.) – 9 points (4-5 FG, 1-2 FT), 5 rebounds, 2 assists
- Freshman Ryan Conroy (Staten Island, N.Y.) – 9 points (3-8 FG, 3-5 3-FG), 2 rebounds, 2 steals
- Senior Eamonn Joyce (Medford, Mass.) – 8 points (3-8 FG, 2-4 FT), 2 rebounds
- Freshman Jacari Sanders (San Antonio, Texas) – 6 points (2-6 FG, 1-3 3-FG, 1-2 FT), 6 assists, 4 rebounds
- Sophomore Mikey Buscetto (Waterford, Conn.) – 6 assists, 2 rebounds
- Junior Chaiz Canty (Windsor, Conn.) – 6 points (2-2 FG, 2-3 FT), 3 rebounds, 4 minutes
- A two-handed slam from Montague just 14 seconds into the game set off a 14-0 run for the Penmen over the opening 5:36 of the contest and the lead would only dip into single digits once the rest of the way. Montague and Long led the way with six and four points, respectively, during the stretch.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Adeola Latunji led all scorers with 28 points (12-18 FG, 2-4 3-FG, 2-3 FT) and 10 rebounds for Staten Island.
- The Penmen outshot the Dolphins, 53.2 percent (33-62) to 34.4 percent (22-64), including 43.5 percent (10-23) to 22.2 percent (8-36) from downtown.
- SNHU was also plus-six at the line, but Staten Island shot it better, 66.7 percent (2-3) to 53.3 percent (8-15).
- The Penmen won the glass (41-35), captured the paint (46-26), received more scoring from their bench (33-2) and featured a better assist-to-turnover ratio (20/6-18/10).
- Southern New Hampshire is 3-0 for the fourth consecutive year.
- The Penmen are back in action Wednesday, Nov. 20 (7 p.m.) when they play host to Stonehill College at the Stan Spirou Field House.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.