When and Where: November 23, 2019 – Worcester, Mass. (Laska Gymnasium)
Score: Assumption College 87, Southern New Hampshire University 86
Records: Assumption 4-1 (1-0 NE10), SNHU 4-1 (1-1 NE10)
Junior Michael Almonacy (Brentwood, N.Y.) and freshman Jacari Sanders (San Antonio, Texas) netted 20 and 19 points, respectively, but the Southern New Hampshire University men's basketball team had its six-point lead with under a minute to play erased in an 87-86 defeat against Assumption College on Saturday afternoon at Laska Gymnasium.
- Almonacy – 20 points (7-12 FG, 4-6 3-FG, 2-3 FT), 6 rebounds, 15 second-half points
- Sanders – career-high 19 points (7-10 FG, 5-10 FT), 3 rebounds, 3 assists, 14 second-half points
- Senior Eamonn Joyce (Medford, Mass.) – 14 points (4-10 FG, 2-6 3-FG, 4-4 FT), 9 rebounds
- Senior Shawn Montague (Yorktown Heights, N.Y.) – 10 points (4-8 FG, 1-2 3-FG, 1-4 FT), 10 rebounds
- Sophomore Justyn Lacy (Catskill, N.Y.) – 7 points (2-4 FG, 1-2 3-FG, 2-2 FT), 2 rebounds
- Sophomore Mikey Buscetto (Waterford, Conn.) – 6 points (2-4 FG, 2-3 3-FG), 3 rebounds, 2 assists
- SNHU held an 86-80 advantage with just under a minute to go when a Brown layup, followed by an Assumption steal and 3-pointer from Branislav Vujadinovic, slashed the Greyhound deficit to 86-85 with 15 ticks left. Another Penmen turnover allowed Matthew Kelly to drop in the go-ahead layup with eight seconds on the clock, before a pair of misses at the other end gave Assumption the victory.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Malik Brown paced the Greyhounds with 20 points (8-14 FG, 1-3 3-FG, 3-5 FT) and seven rebounds.
- The Penmen outshot the Greyhounds, 50.8 percent (30-59) to 47.8 percent (33-69), including 43.5 (10-23) to 42.4 percent (14-33) from beyond the arc.
- Despite SNHU being plus-nine at the line, Assumption shot it better, 70 percent (7-10) to 64 percent (16-25).
- The Penmen owned the glass (41-28), but the Greyhonds collected more points off turnovers (19-11), narrowly won the paint (38-36) and featured a better assist-to-turnover ratio (15/10-7/17).
- Southern New Hampshire has its four-game winning streak snapped, as it suffers its first loss of the season.
- After winning 11 straight in the series, SNHU has now dropped two-in-a-row. The Penmen, who still lead the all-time series, 33-15, also have their six-game winning streak at Assumption halted, as they lose at Laska for the first time since Jan. 7, 2012.
- Montague's double-double is his third of the season and 13th of his career.
- The Penmen are back in action Tuesday, Nov. 26 (7:30 p.m.) when they play host to crosstown-rival Saint Anselm College at the Stan Spirou Field House. The game will air on WGIR 610-AM.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. You can also sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams.