Saint Anselm Edges Ice Hockey, 3-2


When and Where: November 24, 2015 – Goffstown, N.H. (Thomas F. Sullivan Ice Arena)
Score: Saint Anselm College 3, Southern New Hampshire University 2
Records: Saint Anselm 5-2-0 (2-0-0 Northeast-10), SNHU 2-5-1 (2-1-1 Northeast-10) 

Sophomore Ryan Slatky (Manchester, N.H.) turned aside 42 shots and classmate Timothy Baylis (West Haven, Conn.) scored twice, but Southern New Hampshire University dropped a 3-2 decision to Saint Anselm College in Northeast-10 Conference ice hockey action at the Thomas F. Sullivan Ice Arena on Tuesday night. The Hawks up their record to 5-2 and remain unbeaten in conference play at 2-0, while the Penmen move to 2-5-1 overall and 2-1-1 in the NE-10.

Southern New Hampshire jumped out to a 1-0 lead just over seven minutes into the first when Baylis broke free and buried his second of the year. Junior Devin Murray (Saugus, Mass.) was able to work the puck free from a scrum in the Penmen zone and up to freshman Michael Bears (Londonderry, N.H.) along the leftwing wall. Bears turned and slid a pass to a cutting Baylis between the Saint Anselm defense, and he walked in all alone before tucking a backhand through the legs of Shane Joyce with 12:54 left to go in the period.

The Hawks were able to even the score at one apiece 10 minutes later on a brilliant individual effort by Brendan Kerrigan. Kerrigan picked up the puck beneath the goal line in the Saint Anselm end and weaved his way around two checks on his way through the neutral zone before side stepping a Penmen defender as he crossed over the blue line. Kerrigan skated to the leftwing circle and unloaded a snapshot that found its way just inside the top left corner, and sent the teams to the locker room with the score tied 1-1.

The score would remain deadlocked at one for nine minutes into the second stanza, when Brian Cameron pushed the hosts ahead by one. After the Hawks won possession behind the net in the Southern New Hampshire zone, they worked the puck around the blue line to Nick Gorski. Gorski fired a slapshot through traffic that Brian Cameron redirected past Slatky to make it 2-1.

Baylis brought the Penmen even again with his second of the evening, this a shorthanded tally, 2:54 later. A Saint Anselm defender was attempting to skate the puck out of his own end when Baylis picked his pocket just inside the blue line and rifled a shot short-side past Joyce.

In the third, the Hawks were able to score the eventual game-winner 9:43 into the period. CJ Blaszka netted the difference maker, as he poked the puck away from a Southern New Hampshire defender at the top of the faceoff circles in the Penmen zone before one-timing a shot off the far post and into the back of the net.

Slatky suffered the setback between the pipes for Southern New Hampshire despite stopping double-digit shots in all-three periods. He stopped 17 shots in the first, 15 in the second and 10 in the third to compile his second-highest save total of the season. Joyce picked up his fourth win of the year after making 13 saves in the Saint Anselm goal.

 - The Hawks picked up a pair of points in the Queen City Cup standings with Tuesday's victory. Southern New Hampshire now leads the 2015-16 edition by a score of 17-5.
 - The Penmen were at a 45-15 disadvantage in shots on goal, including a 34-8 mark after two periods of play.
 - Baylis' shorthanded marker was his second man-down goal of the season and his sixth in 26 career games.

What's Next:
Southern New Hampshire returns to the Ice Den on Saturday when it takes on the University of New England at 4:10 p.m. in the annual Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Tournament.

For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on TwitterFacebookYoutube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.