When and Where: November 2, 2018 –Warminster, Pa. (Revolution Ice Gardens)
Score: Bryn Athyn College 3, Southern New Hampshire 2 (OT)
Records: SNHU 0-1-1, Bryn Athyn 1-2-0
Freshman Cole Stewart and sophomore Kyle Galloway scored first period goals, but Bryn Athyn handed Southern New Hampshire a 3-2 overtime setback as the teams opened a two-game set on Friday night in Warminster, Pa.
How It Happened:
- Freshman Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Ga.) gave the Penmen a 1-0 lead with the first goal of his career at 3:38 of the first period. Freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) was credited with the assist.
- For the second consecutive contest, SNHU took a 2-0 lead. Cox and Stewart were the helpers on a goal by Sophomore Kyle Galloway (Sugar Hill, Ga.) at 10:05.
- The Lions scored a power-play goal at 14:16 of the first on a goal by Vojtech Luza.
- Bryn Athyn tied the contest with a second power-play goal by Luza at 7:37 of the second period.
- The game winner came with 1:07 left in overtime when Devon Becker ripped a slap shot that found the upper right corner of the net. The Lions were again in a man advantage situation.
- SNHU had also let a 2-0 lead slip away in earning a 2-2 tie with St. Michael's College in the season opener on Tuesday night.
- Freshman JT Kossakowski (Elburn, Ill.) made his first appearance in net, stopping all 16 shots in the first period. He finished the game with 35 saves.
- Bryn Athyn is playing its first home games of the season. The Division III program lost its first two contests to Buffalo State and Nazareth.
- Special teams were a factor for the Penmen. Not only did they allow three power goals (nine chances), but were 0-for-8 on the power play.
- The teams were whistled for 23 infractions, 11 by Southern New Hampshire.
- The Penmen escaped a 5-on-3 deficit in the third period, turning it into a man advantage, but neither team scored in the final 20 minute stanza.
- This was the 1st meeting on the ice between SNHU and Bryn Athyn.
- The Penmen will clash with the Lions again on Saturday at 4:00 p.m.
- The next home game is Tuesday, November 6 against Framingham State at 7:00 p.m. (Ice Den Arena)
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.