When and Where: November 13, 2018 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 4, Stonehill College 1
Records: SNHU 3-2-1 (NE10 1-1-1), Stonehill 0-3 (NE10 0-1)
Freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) tallied a hat trick as SNHU downed Stonehill College 4-1 on Tuesday night at the Ice Den. Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) stopped 27 of 28 shots to help the Penmen to the first NE10 win of the season.
- Cox scored the game's first three goals and has now recorded three consecutive multi-point games.
- Sophomore Kyle Gallaway (Sugar Hill, Ga.) assisted on the first two goals and freshman Cole Stewart (Alpharetta, Ga.) added an assist.
- Gutting held a shutout until Stonehill scored on a power-play with two minutes remaining in the contest.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- Neither team lit the lamp in the first period which saw the Penmen draw three minor penalties. They were able to kill them off.
- SNHU took a 1-0 lead just 43 seconds into the second period as Gallaway dug a rebound out of the corner and passed to Cox for a one-timer.
- The Georgia line displayed strong passing skills to set up Cox for his second goal that came at 9:34 of the second period.
- A flurry of action in the final 2:28 of the game saw three goals scored.
- SNHU made it 3-0 on the third goal for Cox, a power play goal at 17:32. Senior Brett Strawn passed from behind the net out to Cox at the left dot for the slap shot.
- Stonehill scored its only goal on a shot by Connor Jewitt just seconds after going on a man advantage. After winning the face-off, passes by Jack Hall and Kyle Woodruff gave Jewitt a chance at a one-timer from about twelve feet out on the right side of Gutting.
- An empty net goal, the first of the season for senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.) made it 4-1 Penmen.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Shots for the game were 28-28.
- SNHU went 1-for-6 on the power play and Stonehill went 1-for-5.
- Stonehill freshman Chase McKay (New Port Richey, Fla.) played for the first time on Tuesday night, making the start for the Skyhawks.
- This was the first of three regular season meetings between the NE10 rivals. They will meet again at Stonehill February 8-9.
- SNHU improves to 2-0-1 at its home rink this season.
- SNHU will skate at Assumption College on Friday at 5:35 p.m. and Saturday at 6:05 p.m.
- The Penmen will return to the Ice Den on Saturday (November 24) when they host UMass Boston on the first day of the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Tournament.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.