When and Where: November 25, 2018 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 2, Fredonia State 2 (OT) - Fredonia wins Championship in Shootout
Records: SNHU 5-3-2, Fredonia State 6-1-1
Freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.) scored his first collegiate goal at 13:50 of the third period and SNHU and Fredonia State played to a 2-2 overtime tie on Sunday at The Ice Den. The visiting Blue Devils claimed the Manchester PAL/Stovepipe Hockey Tournament title by scoring in the shootout.
- Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) started both games in the tournament. He stopped 54 of 55 shots in the win over UMass-Boston on Saturday and followed that up with 28 saves on Sunday.
- Freshman Charlie Davis (Milton, Mass.) scored a goal in each game of the tournament and has five goals on the season.
- Fiorino's backhand flip ended a long scrum in front of the Fredonia net for the tying goal. Freshman Jake Cox (Columbus, Ga.) and sophomore Kyle Galloway (Sugar Hill, Ga.) had assists.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- SNHU scored the first goal of the game at 4:12. Freshman Charlie Davis (Milton, Mass.) buried an entry pass by junior Kaleb Godbout (Williston, Vt.)
- Senior Artem Efimov-Barakov (Khimki, Russia) also had an assist on the first goal.
- The Penmen were whistled for their first penalty at 15:17 when senior Joseph Berardi was called for tripping, that led to a goal by the Blue Devils.
- Junior Ryan Dunn scored on a slap shot at 17:13 to tie the game at 1-1.
- Sophomore Victor Tracy (Stockholm, Sweden) put the Blue Devils up 2-1 with a second period power goal at 5:36.
- SNHU tied the game at 2-2 at 13:50 on a goal by Joe Fiorino. The Penmen battled to keep the puck alive in front of the Blue Devils net before Fiorino flipped a backhand past Blue Devils netminder Anton Rosen.
- The teams played a five minute scoreless overtime period before deciding the Championship in a shootout.
- Neither team scored in the first four rounds of the shootout. Sophomore Jasper Korican-Barlay (Oakland, Ca.) beat Gutting at the top of the net to put the Blue Devils ahead. Junior DJ Goldstein (Wareham, Mass.) had one final opportunity to extend the shootout but was denied by Rosen.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The final shot total was 37-30 in favor of Southern New Hampshire.
- SNHU went 0-3 on the power play. Both Fredonia goals came on the power play, they finished 2-for-3.
- SNHU was attempting to end a 20-year drought as champs of the Stovepipe Hockey Tournament.
- SNHU is now 0-2-1 all-time against the Blue Devils.
- UMass Boston edged UMass Dartmouth 3-1 in the consolation game.
- The Penmen will host Franklin Pierce University on Saturday, December 1 at 6:40 p.m. at The Ice Den. It's the final home contest before the break.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.