When and Where: January 25, 2019 – South Burlington, Vt. (C. Douglas Cairns Recreation Arena)
Score: Southern New Hampshire University 2, Saint Michael's College 2 (OT)
Records: SNHU 8-6-3 (4-3-2 NE10), St. Michael's 4-10-4 (4-2-3 NE10)
- Senior Brett Strawn (Wareham, Mass.) had one goal and one assist on Friday night.
- Senior Chris Moquin (Hooksett, N.H.) tallied the other goal and assisted on Strawn's first period marker.
- Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) stopped 35 of 37 shots including seven in the extra session when the Purple Knights had a power-play chance.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- The Penmen opened the scoring at 7:27 of the first period. Strawn carried the puck out of his own zone, found Moquin on the left wing, and took the return pass near the net for an easy goal. Senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.) also earned an assist, the fourth consecutive game he's picked up a point for the Penmen.
- Each team had 10 shots in the first period.
- An unusual second period included about a 15 minute delay in the middle of the period to address an ice issue. Officials sent the teams to the locker room with a little over five minutes to play in the second to again address the problem area. The end of the second period was completed just before the third period.
- St. Michael's scored a goal to tie the game at 1-1 after the first stoppage. While on a two-man advantage, sophomore Andrew Olevitz was able to bury a blast off a nice tic-tac-toe set-up.
- The Purple Knights moved in front at 6:46 of the third period when Thomas Flack smacked in a rebound off a shot by Sam D'Antuono.
- The final goal was buried by Moquin for the Penmen on the power-play. Strawn took a shot from the right dot which was blocked. Moquin put home the rebound to make it 2-2. The other assist went to freshman Joe Fiorino (Willow Grove, Pa.).
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- Southern New Hampshire was outshot by the Purple Knights 37-30.
- The Penmen went 1-for-5 on the power play.
- SNHU is now 0-3-3 in six overtime games this season.
- Southern New Hampshire and St. Michael's College also skated to a 2-2 tie when they met at The Ice Den on October 30.
- SNHU is 22-40-6 all-time against St. Michael's.
- The top four teams in the NE10 are separated by one point in the standings. Saint Michael's is tied for first with Assumption with 11 points. SNHU and Saint Anselm are currently tied for third place with 10 points.
- The Penmen will meet the Purple Knights again on Saturday at 4:00 p.m. in South Burlington.
- The next home contest for SNHU is Tuesday, January 29 (7:00 p.m.) when it plays host to Assumption College at The Ice Den in Hooksett.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.