When and Where: February 15, 2019 – Hooksett, N.H. (The Ice Den)
Score: Saint Anselm College 4, Southern New Hampshire University 0
Records: SNHU 11-9-4 (NE10 6-5-3), Saint Anselm 15-11-2 (NE10 10-3-1)
Saint Anselm College goalie Colin Soucy stopped 33 shots and the Hawks handed Southern New Hampshire its first shutout of the season, 4-0, on Friday night at the Ice Den. The teams meet one final time on Saturday.
HOW IT HAPPENED
- It took Saint Anselm only 3:29 into the game. Junior Sean Verrier blasted a shot past junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) after the Hawks had won a faceoff in the SNHU zone. He was set up by Trey Aiello and Shawn Moors.
- The Hawks had a 15-7 shot advantage in the first period.
- The Penmen had an aggressive start to the second period, which included a pair of unsuccessful short-hand bids by junior DJ Goldstein (Wareham, Mass.) and senior Ryan Spagnoli (Burlington, Mass.)
- The Hawks took a 2-0 lead at 5:21 of the middle stanza. Michael Foggia picked up his second goal of the season off a pass from senior Bryan Green, who had carried the puck down the right wing. Brian Cameron also assisted.
- Aiello hit the net to make it 3-0 in favor of Saint Anselm at 11:05 of the second period. He was set up by Verrier.
- An empty net goal by Mike Ferraro, his 13th of the season, came in the final minutes for a 4-0 final.
INSIDE THE BOX SCORE
- The Hawks outshot the Penmen 34-33 for the game.
- Junior Kurt Gutting (Weymouth, Mass.) started in net for the Penmen for the 18th time this season. His 2.20 GAA is second in the NE10.
- SNHU was whistled for six infractions for a total of 12 minutes. Saint Anselm committed two penalties. There were no power play conversions on Friday night.
- With the win, the Hawks have claimed the Northeast-10 Regular Season Championship.
- Saint Anselm has won the last six meetings between the squads.
- The Penmen will conclude the regular season with a 4:00 p.m. contest on Saturday against the Hawks at Sullivan Arena.
For the latest on Southern New Hampshire University athletics, follow the Penmen via social media on Twitter, Facebook, Youtube and Instagram. Sign up to receive text message alerts and e-mail newsletters about your favorite Penmen teams here.